Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Dawn

Author Topic: Dawn
gaijin17
Member # 2539

- posted      Profile for gaijin17   Email gaijin17         Edit/Delete Post 
Octavia Butler's books are powerful and always hook me from the begining. Her books leave a strong impression on me long after I'm done reading, and I usually have to wait a while before I move onto another book of hers because I know that her books have an overwhelm me when I finish them.

This is the opening to Dawn, the first novel in a series entitled Lilith's Brood. I like the immediacy of every sensation.

Alive!
Still alive.
Alive...again.
Awakening was hard, as always. The ultimate disappointment. It was a struggle to take in enough air to drive off nightmare sensations of asphyxiation. Lilith Iyapo lay gasping, shaking with the force of her effort. Her heart beat too fast, too loud. She curled around it, fetal, helpless. Circulation began to reaturn to her arms and legs in flurries of minute, exquisite pains.
When her body calmed and became reconciled to reanimation, she looked aroun. The room seemed dimly lit, though she had never reawakened to dimness before. She corrected her thinking.

[This message has been edited by gaijin17 (edited May 04, 2005).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
I read a little more of this on amazon.com. From the synopsis, I think it probably goes places I don't want to visit, but appears to do it very well. But who knows, next time I'm at the library I may look it up...
Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading Dawn last night and couldn't put it down. I used to gobble up books in 1 sitting all the time, but it's been a while. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Fascinating premise, and very rich and evocative, despite an incredibly economical style--something I can personally learn a lot from.

This was my first experience with Octavia Butler. I'm glad I picked up Adulthood Rites and Imago to go with it.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.