Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » John Varley's "Steel Beach"

Author Topic: John Varley's "Steel Beach"
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Check this one out; this has simply got to be the coolest hook ever!

EXCITING NEW CONTEST!

WIN FREE SEX!

"In five years, the penis will be obsolete," said the salesman.

He paused to let this planet-shattering information sink into our amazed brains. Personally, I didn't know how many more wonders I could absorb before lunch.

"With the right promotional campaign," he went on, breathlessly, "it might take as little as two years."

He might even have been right. Stranger things have happened in my lifetime. But I decided to hold off on calling my broker with frantic orders to sell all my jockstrap stock.

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Firebird
Member # 2846

- posted      Profile for Firebird   Email Firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
O.o

Right then.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm. Actually, that book would've found it's way back on the library shelf by the third sentence.
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Valtam
Member # 2833

- posted      Profile for Valtam   Email Valtam         Edit/Delete Post 
It would've hooked me. It's got me curious enough that I kinda wanna go and find the book right now.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. I've found some of Varley's stuff awful dependent on drowning the reader in details that are shocking in terms of the perspective of our society...so much so that the societies he sets up seem deliberately set up to do this. Too much obvious-hand-of the-author for my taste. (I meant to pick up a collected works collection of his that was out awhile ago, but never got around to it.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, for collections of Varley's short fiction check out "The Persistence of Vision" (1978) and "Picnic on Nearside" (1980), both readily available on abebooks.com
Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
That is quite the hook. It seems like the kind of opening that will either intrigue you enough to read a little further, or turn you off completely so that you don't, as dpatridge said, get past the third sentence.

If this was a short, I would be skeptical -- just not enough in there to get me. For a novel, this would probably keep me intrigued enough to read a few pages. However, I would be expecting a lot. With a line like, "WIN FREE SEX!", you have my attention because of the sheer shock value, but you better do something really worthwhile or I'll put it down. It's the same thing when someone yells "SEX!" in a noisy, crowded room. Sure, it gets everyone's attention, but you better have something compelling if you want to hold their attention -- and you can only get away with it once before it gets old.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I read both when they first appeared (or soon after.) For the record, I thought (and still think) "Persistence of Vision" not worthy of the attention and awards it got. I think that of several of his much-praised stories. ("Press Enter" and the one that became a movie with Kris Kristofferson come to mind here.) Other stories of his, like "Phantom of Kansas," I found much better. "Picnic on Nearside" was good, though.

(I apologize for possible misquotation of titles: it's been close to thirty years since I read them and my copies are relatively inaccessible these days.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.