Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » The Malazan Books

Author Topic: The Malazan Books
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else here read these? It's fantasy on a level I haven't seen in a long time.

Just curious if anybody else has read them.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It might help if you were to post the author's name and the book titles.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
val*wings
Member # 5538

- posted      Profile for val*wings           Edit/Delete Post 
if you're talking about the Malazan Books of the Fallen by Stephen Erikson, then yes, I've read them and I agree, they're unbelievable. I've read my share of fantasy and I've never come across a world so incredibly huge and detailed, with so many interesting characters, so many plotlines, so intricate....I'm running out of adjectives. Basically I'm addicted. I would buy anything by Erikson, sight unseen, based on these books. whenever i emerge from his books, I find myself swearing like a Malazan--Hood's breath!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I like reading that. I just picked up a book by Stephen Erikson -- not sure of the title offhand. Funny thing is, I picked it up because it sold me in the first 13.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Are these high or low fantasy?

How would you compare them to say, George RR Martin (Fire and Ice series) or Greg Keyes (Briar King series).

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
val*wings
Member # 5538

- posted      Profile for val*wings           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not 100% clear on what 'high' and 'low' fantasys are, but i'd guess the Malazan books are more 'high' fantasy. it's definitely not typical sword and sorcery; he's got some very unique takes on magic, gods, and armies and everything in between. i haven't read George RR Martin or Keyes, so I couldn't really compare, but if you love epic fantasy, you'll like Erikson's books.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Low fantasy is generaly low magic, magic is something that takes place off scene.

High fantasy is the more typical epic fantasy where magic is plentiful and big.

Magic can be weak or powerful in either setting, but in low fantasy magic is typically in the background and the stories are more humancentric (no elves or such).

If you haven't read Martin or Keyes I cannot recomend them more strongly.

George RR Martins, A Game of Thrones and the 3 books that follow (A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords and A Feast of Crows) are the best fantasy novels I've read. Greg Keyes books, The Briar King, Charnel Prince and Blood Knight are a close second.

The Greg Keyes books move closer to epic fantasy after starting in low fantasy.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.