Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Harry Potter and the Typographic Compositor

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Typographic Compositor
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm informed that there are editions of "Deathly Hallows" out there that skip some pages---going from, like, straight from page 305 to 335. Fox News ran a story on it just a few minutes ago. They gave some page numbers, about what I give here, but I don't remember them exactly. Last night I heard about another set in the 400s.

I just got my copy yesterday (along with Books Five and Six, just like I said I would), but have only skimmed through looking at page numbers. I haven't noticed anything yet.

I've had things like this happen with other books, of course. Anybody been plagued with this?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never come across missing pages, but in a paperback copy of Peter Straub's GHOST STORY I happened upon 50 or so repeated pages, which threw me for a bit of a loop.

I've also opened books in which the pages haven't been properly cut, which means you have to tear them yourself. Also very annoying.

However, I think I'd rather have those problems than to get deep into a story and realize that PAGES ARE MISSING!

By the way -- I've heard of this happening with the trade paperback copies of the Harry Potter novels.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
An edition with uncut pages might be valuable---check before you cut.

My old copy of Asimov's The Foundation Trilogy replicates a page of Foundation and Empire near the beginning of Second Foundation. (I read the missing material in a separate paperback edition of the book.)

Most editions of Heinlein's The Star Beast lose about a page of copy in the middle. I only know about it because I once turned up a first edition of the book in a library. But it always seemed like something was missing. (If you're familiar with the book---and you ought to be---the missing copy should go before the line "John Thomas, Junior did not go to sea." Yes, some of it deals with John Thomas, Senior.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NancyE
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for NancyE   Email NancyE         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a copy of Nathanial Hawthorne's "The Marble Faun" back in grad school that had a missing chunk and a repeated section--made me late in reading the book for class. Printer's error at the assembly stage.

I've got a bio of Dorothy Sayers that has a whole signature inserted upside down--printer's error--stacked wrong for binding.

Not surprising that you'd get some printers errors on HP with so many copies printed.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Star Wars novel that had the middle of the book at the end, and the end of the book in the middle.

Other than that, my books have been fine. A marvel considering how many I've read.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Addendum to this thread: I haven't read my volume of Volume Seven yet...but yesterday I did pick up a copy of Schulz and Peanuts, the new biography of Charles M. Schulz, and found that about thirty pages were duplicated and another thirty pages were omitted. When I went in to look for a replacement today, six of the seven copies I could find had the exact same defect---I am now the proud owner of Copy Number Seven.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
This happened to me with the most recent book I bought, Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson. There was a big chunk missing and then a bunch of pages were repeated at the end. I found out before starting in on it, thankfully. Waldenbooks was more than happy to give me a new copy (without missing pages this time) and I even got Brandon to sign it again. Phew! What a hassle though.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.