Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » 10 Openings

Author Topic: 10 Openings
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
I said I would transcribe 30 of these, and I will. But for the time being here are the first 10. Your thoughts on the openings? Which ones leave you wanting to read more?

“I remember the night I became a Goddess” – Ian McDonald

“No Mammy. No pappy, poor little bastard. Money? You give Money?” – Paulo Baciagulupi

“Greta’s with me when I pull Suzy out of the surge tank” –
Alastair Reynolds

“When I enter the office, Dr. S is leaning against the desk, talking eagerly to the dead girl’s parents.” – Daryl Gregory
“Kelly MacInnes was pretty, prettier than I expected. She had the sort of husky blonde beauty I associate with the upper Midwest. Or in this case the Canadian Rockies” – Jay Lake and Ruth Nestvold

“The dinosaurs looked all wobbly in the summer heat, shimmering up from the pavement” – Michael Swanwick

“The human male had lived on the on the avenue for thirty-two years” – Robert Reed

“When you say that it’s Providence that brought you here” said Qasim, “what I hear are two things: it’s bad luck, and it’s not your fault” – Ken McLeod

“A messenger flew above the alleys of Tyre, skirting the torn green heads of the tallest palm trees. With a flutter of wings, it settled high on a stony ledge. The pigeon was quickly seized by a maiden within the tower. She gratefully kissed the bird’s sleek grey head.” – Bruce Sterling

“The client looked at his watch and then at Logan, raising an eyebrow. Logan nodded and spread his hands, palm down in what he hoped was a reassuring gesture. The client shook his head and went back to staring at the clearing below. His face was not happy.” – William Sanders

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. If that were all I had to go on, the first one I think I'd want to keep reading is the Alastair Reynolds. And it's because of "surge tank."

The Ken McLeod is a close second.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of these. Based solely on the passage, the ones that grab me are:

“The dinosaurs looked all wobbly in the summer heat, shimmering up from the pavement” – Michael Swanwick

“The human male had lived on the on the avenue for thirty-two years” – Robert Reed

“When you say that it’s Providence that brought you here” said Qasim, “what I hear are two things: it’s bad luck, and it’s not your fault” – Ken McLeod

No good reason why - I just like these.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the dinosaur one because the image of dinosaurs and "pavement" is intriguing.

I also liked the one with Qasim saying that because what he says sounds wise/insightful and raises questions about the person he's talking to.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read four of these.
Paulo Baciagulupi- That was 'Calorie Man' right? that one caught me flipping through a Best Of.

It is hard for me to say. The names Ken McLeod and Ian McDonald are typically all the hook I need.

Of the ones that I haven't read,“The dinosaurs looked all wobbly in the summer heat, shimmering up from the pavement” – Michael Swanwick, is the one that got my attention.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is calorie man. A pretty good story in a pretty sub-standard year.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
The ones that hooked me:

Alastair Reynolds
Reason: "Surge tank."

Reason: Dinosaurs and pavement? Wondering if this is an imagined image (if so, a creative character mind is suggested, so that's intriguing) or something concrete (har har), factual, which would be interesting for other reasons. I'd be disappointed if the next few words revealed them to be cardboard cutouts or something, though.

Reason: Interesting turn of phrase, "the human male."

Reason: Qasim is an interesting name, and he seems like an astute, no-nonsense kind of guy. I get the feeling he'll be stirring stuff up.

For me, the Bruce Sterling and the Ian McDonald ones were the 2 I liked the least.

Thanks again for doing this, smncameron.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
They all seem intriguing...but I'm so out of touch with the field these days I'm pretty sure I haven't read any of them---and I recognize only five of the ten names.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

The idea is not to recognize the stories themselves or the author's names, it is to, based solely on the opening passage, determine which stories are the most intriguing. It's like the opening 13, condencsed.

Personally my favourite opening is Ken McLeod's. It leaves the reader wondering what's going on, but still has that sparkle of originality. The name Qasim didn't really effect my opinion.

[This message has been edited by smncameron (edited February 14, 2008).]

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

I really hate openings like this. It just feels like it's trying to be too clever. Ooo, okay, I'm supposed to read because I want to know how she became a goddess! Sorry, no, I don't care yet that she's a goddess. Besides that, it feels like a set up for a flash back (was it?)

“No Mammy. No pappy, poor little bastard. Money? You give Money?” – Paulo Baciagulupi
I'd read to the next line, at least.

Alastair Reynolds
I liked this one--I would read on. There's a sense of immediacy and an instant connection between the characters--the narrator, Greta, and Suzy. For me the hook is what Greta has to do with the other two--why is she worth mentioning? Hints at conflict/ tension.

“When I enter the office, Dr. S is leaning against the desk, talking eagerly to the dead girl’s parents.” – Daryl Gregory
Present tense... but I would probably read on.

“Kelly MacInnes was pretty, prettier than I expected. She had the sort of husky blonde beauty I associate with the upper Midwest. Or in this case the Canadian Rockies” – Jay Lake and Ruth Nestvold
Nope. Not interested in husky blondes. I find this opening really flat and cliche.

I would definitely read on. I'm guessing these refer to the La Brea Tar Pits in LA. The imagery and voice are what attract me here.

The concept of "human male" feels intriguing, but is so dry it feels like it's going to suck the moisture from my eyeballs. I might read to the end of the page but I'm not particularly drawn to it.

I like the attitude of the speaker. Also, it hints at conflict.

“A messenger flew above the alleys of Tyre, skirting the torn green heads of the tallest palm trees. With a flutter of wings, it settled high on a stony ledge. The pigeon was quickly seized by a maiden within the tower. She gratefully kissed the bird’s sleek grey head.” – Bruce Sterling

Feels overwritten. Why doesn't he just tell us "the pigeon flew"--why "messenger"? It feels too fantasy.

“The client looked at his watch and then at Logan, raising an eyebrow. Logan nodded and spread his hands, palm down in what he hoped was a reassuring gesture. The client shook his head and went back to staring at the clearing below. His face was not happy.” – William Sanders
I'd probably read on, though I'm a bit put off by the very distant voice and the fact that he's not telling us what's at stake.

Wow, reading back on these, I realize I'm pretty tough. I also think at this point I have little sense of what sorts of openings attract people. Stuff that I like I never see, or people here don't like (not necessarily just my stuff, either); stuff I see published I read and think it's ho-hum, at best. Go figure.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited February 14, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

For short stories at least, I'm guessing it's not what you like, nor what I like, not even what the majority opinion is here. It's what those jaded slush pile readers like and that's hard to predict from down here with the rest of the frogs at the bottom of the well.

A lot of the published stuff that gets collected may have sold on the byline rather than the first line. Sigh. Just to mess up my trying to figure out "what" sells.

Still, I'm ready for the next ten openings.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited February 14, 2008).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
For short stories at least, I'm guessing it's not what you like, nor what I like, not even what the majority opinion is here. It's what those jaded slush pile readers like and that's hard to predict from down here with the rest of the frogs at the bottom of the well.

I'd like to think that, because it does make me feel better, but I think there's a correlation even here between popular "first 13's" and the posters who get published. Also, there are a heck of a lot of pubs out there, something for almost everyone, I suspect.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

Your work is pretty popular here Annepin
annepin
Member # 5952

Hm, so does that disprove my theory, since I've never been published? Though I've never actually submitted so the data is in valid. Also, I think you give me too much credit. A few of my pieces were popular, coinciding to when you started posting, I think.
arriki
Member # 3079

So...(I sit tapping my foot) where are the next ten openings for us to chew over and spit out?
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just arrived here, so I'll put in my CDN$0.02

I like things that come out of left field. While this might turn out to be gimmicky, it's quirky enough for me to read on.

This feels like 'dialect'. Not a big fan of 'dialect'. It makes me think this would be a difficult story to read and would require too much effort.

Alastair Reynolds

I agree with other comments above. I'm very curious to see what happens next. The writer has managed to create a lot of intrigue in just a dozen words.

Why "eagerly"? That's the hook for me. If it wasn't for the eagerly, I'd pass.

Not interested in Harlequin romances.

Well, I'm a sucker for dinosaurs, so right away I'm interested. The only problem I have with this is that I can’t picture dinosaurs shimmering up from the pavement.

It feels like the writer is trying too hard to be bland.

Not particularly grabbing, but intelligent enough to raise my interest. I don't like the name Qasim though... a "Q" without a "U" just ain't right.

I like classic fantasy. This feels like safe, comfortable classic fantasy. Considering the author, it may not turn out to be that way, but I'll go along for the ride.

I'm confused. And the line "His face was not happy" turns me off. Right away, I'm thinking of a 1000 things his face is not.

Jeff.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.