Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Ripping Carovella

Author Topic: Ripping Carovella
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Did any of you read "Ripping Carovella?" what did you think?
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

This was my favorite story from the oh eight writers of the future. Thats amazing. There is such a fuss around here about entering Writers of the future but it seems like not many actually reads the book. Wouldn't you have to read the book to get a feel for how you might appeal to the judges? I mean, it really is just their opinion and preferances that you have to get past.

Scratches head.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that you are right. I admittedly have never read the book, never seen any of their antholgoies before. I would very much to have had read it before submitting, but basically I just joined the group to to be in the group.

The Heinlein Centennial contest on the other hand... I have read too much not to know what the judges are looking for when they say: Stories should reflect the beliefs and philosophies found in RAH's novels.
And I am a little puzzled that that doesnt seem a popular guideline for the people in that group.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is such a fuss around here about entering Writers of the future but it seems like not many actually reads the book.

Are you inferring this simply on the fact that no one has responded to this thread? That's a pretty big leap.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

I would have guessed that many at Hatrack would have immediately gone out and purchased the latest WOTF book and had an opinion or two about it. So… hmm… I suppose I did assume from the lack of opinions that probably nobody did read it.

Umm, did you read it? Did you like that story?

Tracy

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have a signed edition. Andrea Kail, which I mentioned is up for the Nebula, wroteThe Sun God at Dawn, Rising From a Lotus Blossom. Jeff Carlson, who wrote The Frozen Sky, just sold his third novel to Ace.

My favorite is Obsidian Shards, the story before Ripping Carovella, but I'm a tad biased--it was written by a Hatracker.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 10, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.