Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Ursula K. Leguin, RIP.

Author Topic: Ursula K. Leguin, RIP.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I read last night that Ursula Leguin died, age 88. Produced a massive body of influential work over a lifetime. I enjoyed reading a lot of it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer,

I grew up on Earthsea. She is part of the master novelist's I loved that helped me survive adolescence. It's too bad Ghibli studio and a handful second-rate film companies did her books no justice.

I still have my original books.

At least her legend will live on.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the stellar Platinum Age science fiction writers -- rigorously aware of that Age's fantastic social science conventions to good effect, Le Guin struggled early in her career, works often rejected for "inaccessibility," which also plagued sister Platinum C.J. Cherryh's early publication attempts.

Incongruent that Le Guin loathed Google Books for its unilateral publication of intellectual property without creator consent, yet several of her essays on writing are most accessible there. Of note "Science Fiction and Mrs. Brown." (Explorations of the Marvellous: The Science and the Fiction in Science Fiction. Science Fiction at Large, periodical. Peter Nicholls, editor. Print. 1976; Le Guin, Ursula K. The Language of the Night. Putnam. 1979: pgs 101 - 120. Print.)

Mrs. Brown is Virginia Woolf and Le Guin's everywoman persona, sometimes everyman, everyperson. Also of note, Le Guin's literary craft analysis favorably compares to other stalwart writers' narrative theory texts, and standout, in that Le Guin speaks from a traditionally male-dominated bastion.

Providence's Grace be unto thee, Mrs. Le Guin!

[ January 25, 2018, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved her work. We are richer because of her.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had met her while she was alive! We did read a little from A Wizard of Earthsea to commemorate her legacy. =)
Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.