Hatrack River
Home | About Orson Scott Card | News & Reviews | OSC Library | Forums | Contact | Links
Research Area | Writing Lessons | Writers Workshops | OSC at SVU | Calendar | Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Jeraliey, as a result of insomnia....

Author Topic: Jeraliey, as a result of insomnia....
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya, folks! I'm Jeraliey, and right now I can't sleep. So I thought I'd say hi.

I'm 22 and a senior in college (premed, major: analytic philosophy; minor: American Sign Language).

I love science fiction (when I get a chance to read, which is unfortunately very rare this semester), and I just started writing a year ago. That's not to say that I haven't been telling myself stories...I've been doing that for as long as I could remember. I just never got the guts (or the chutzpah) to put pen to paper.

Thanks to the awesome folks on the forum, I now have both! And as a result, I currently have my first story out rejection-hunting. How 'bout that! (I still can't really believe it...)

Outside of school and writing, I like to do a little bit of everything. Jack of all trades, master of none? Well, maybe not ALL trades, but there are certainly a lot that I have fun with!

I'm looking forward to getting to "know" you newbies!

Yeah, and a bit of a repetition: the folks on the forum are AWESOME!!!!

Did I mention you guys are awesome? In case I didn't, you guys are awesome. Just so you know.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jeraliey and thanks for the welcome. I hope to get to know you and as a newbie learn from you. I admire people who are in the midst of the School years. I went through it a while ago and it was a tough time. But worth it in the long run! Good luck.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if you wait 20 years, half the science they're teaching you now will be outdated and considered false. Therefore, you ARE reading science fiction, even though you don't know it.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, historical fiction is hot too!

Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems I never gave you a proper welcome. *shame on me!* And since we're now officially bantering, I figured I ought to pop in and give you a wave. Here you go:

*waves*

Sorry, nothing bantery. Brain's running low.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

::continues the wave::

Anyone else?

Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! Me! Look, I'm waving too! *waves madly at the computer screen and then realizes that no one can see it, so she sits back down and finishes typing this post*
Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waving at you, although owing to atmospheric reflection, you won't see it. That's why we have the internet.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

All right! Now we can go be fans at a football game!
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

(Ok, boos are expected. But can you really blame me? I've been cramming clinical psychology and mammalian physiology into my poor, overworked brain for the last three days...)
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if they're expected:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *deep breath* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(Edit: apparently, I can't type. Perhaps I deserve a boo... *cringes in anticipation*)

[This message has been edited by Jaina (edited March 04, 2005).]

Jaina
Member # 2387

I can't really blame you, no. But booing is too much fun to pass up the opportunity.
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these loud, lusty, lung-busting boos, or just the simple, thumbs-down garden-variety boo? I'd hate to not fit in with the crowd.

And I can't do the wave because my back hurts. [sulk]

will-o-wisp
Member # 2416

- posted      Profile for will-o-wisp   Email will-o-wisp         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEYLO- ... - *shuts up because she realizes she has nothing else to say*
*but, does manage to abruptly halt the wave*
oops. *and the boo* ergh.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome fellow insomniac!
I am looking through the time stamps on this thread and it's awesome to see other living beings awake after 10pm besides me.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm awake after 10 pm too! I'm a freaking night owl, seriously. I stay up for hours and hours and hours until I run out of things to do. Then and only then do I go to bed.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

I would sleep, if I could. I'm happy if I manage 5 hours. 8 seems like a cruel joke to me.

The last time I slept for any length of time was when I had surgery almost nine years ago.

Jaina
Member # 2387

I'd love to be a night owl. I am, actually. Which is bad, since I have an 8:00 class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I really should try to go to bed before midnight so I'm consicous for it. But night is the only time I have to come on Hatrack for any length of time. I can't give that up!
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's how I look at it (which is not an AMA approved view of sleep); I do not want to spend a full third of every day of my short life sleeping. Human lifespans are way too short for all the things I want to do and learn. I'll sleep when I'm dead. Unless they find that cure for death before then, which I'm seriously hoping they do.
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Gosh, my favorite time of day is naptime! (Right after lunch, half an hour before classes start again...mmmmmmmmm)

But insomnia sucks. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Speaking of, I'm off to bed...I'm sick as a dog and the room is starting to get all shadowy from the antihistimines....

'Night, all.

TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

I hope you feel better!!

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a curious expression -- "I'm sick as a dog."

Are dogs particularly sick? Anyone know the history behind this phrase?

Regardless, do get better soon, Jer.

And I do feel your pain regarding insomnia. Like many, I suffer from this often. While I usually manage six hours sleep per night, it's never six straight hours. I wake up every few hours, look at the clock, moan, fall back asleep, rinse and repeat. Ugh. But I'm used to it, I suppose.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Thanks for the well-wishing, folks. I guess I'm on the upswing (at least, I sincerely hope so...I made an appointment with my advisor tomorrow, and I also have a load of work that I have to do!)...my friends have been chicken-souping at me all day, and I managed to skip classes with little ill effect. Hopefully I'll be back to normal by tomorrow.

If not, I might very well have major problems at work and in classes....so here's hoping.

Umm, I looked up "sick as a dog", and it seems that the most likely explanation is that dogs are the only animals that we see vomit. (I guess that's ignoring cats...) Aren't you glad you asked?

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm glad I asked. These things are important for some reason.

And I agree, they obviously ignored cats. With four cats, we have cat vomit on a weekly basis in our house. Gross. You should see us vainly trying to get a paper towel in front of the cat so it can vomit on that instead of the carpet. Without fail, the cat sees this, is offended probably, and moves to another spot, thus soiling the carpet anyway.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

My best friend has a rather more....well, effective...solution. The second she sees her cat vomiting, she scoops him up, dumps him unceremoniously in the bathroom, and shuts the door until he's done. It's a little less respectful, but it's always easier to clean up.
HSO
Member # 2056

That's a good plan. I suspect my cats would hurl on me if tried it though -- they are spiteful little critters at times.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe sicka as a dog has a two-fold meaning...

They throw it up, then they try to eat it again.

EWWWWW, GROSSSSSSS, SSSSICK-ICK-ICK!

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow, I don't want to think about that...or the other things my childhood dog use to eat. Definitely gross.

As for cats, we always scooped our kitty up at arms length and rushed her out the door. She took revenge by vomitting in secret every once in a while so we would find it later behind a curtain, or between our toes when we got out of bed in a rush to find her.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Ah, just imagine the jubilant feeling I get when I see that my introductory thread has turned into a discussion of the various ways that cats and dogs can vomit....

*sniff* I'm so proud....

HSO
Member # 2056

We could segue this thread and discuss the other end of cats and dogs, if you'd like.

But let's not.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Oh. *ahem* HSO, I'M SO OFFENDED!!!!

*snicker* *ahem*

HSO
Member # 2056

You're on the list of Official Offendees, aren't you? If not, be sure to tell Mike to include you.
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Not only am I on the list, but my identity switched a couple of times during my membership!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.