Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » So as not to repeat everyone else: Hi-O!

Author Topic: So as not to repeat everyone else: Hi-O!
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, My name is J. Forrest, but I go by DeepDreamer here, or DD for short. I'm pretty much a bum: live at home, scrounge off my parents, looking for a job(admittedly, not very hard).

I focus mostly on the fantasy side of things, with a little science fiction. I've tried short stories, and I find that, without fail, they always expand to something longer: short story becomes novelette, which becomes novel, which becomes epic trilogy . . .

Most of what I've written is still in very rough draft form on paper, waiting for me to hack it away into something presentable enough so that I can, without too much embarrassment, submit it here.

I find that my greatest trouble with writing, (besides having the guts to show it to anyone to begin with) is that I simply have too many stories, (I use that word to mean any project of fiction, any length) and it can be hard to focus on any one of them to make any progress with it. I hope that by becoming more active at Hatrack, I can do the near-impossible task of finishing what I start. I think it was Robert Frost who said that poems, (and it can apply to stories too, of course) are never finished, they are just abandoned.

Well, if I'm going to abandon anything, it's going to be dang-near as perfect as this imperfect-girl can get it first!

And, from what I've seen here, you all are better experts at that sort of thing than I am.

*bows self out before she says something she'll regret later*

~DD

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
NomadicHand
Member # 2406

- posted      Profile for NomadicHand   Email NomadicHand         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello J and welcome. I'm new here myself and seem to be in the same situation as far as living off parents/hardly looking for a job.

Hope to see your fantasy writings up soon!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there! I totally sympathize: I've always got about three projects active at once and more than that which aren't finished, just cast aside until I can come back to them. Drives people nuts (like my sister) because I ask them to read something that's not done yet, just to see if I'm on the right track, and then I abandon it (temporarily sometimes, permanently others) and she still wants to know what happens next. It's horrible. But every time I get a new idea, I have to run with it for a while. I just have to learn to run with it until it's finished running, not just until I see something else shiny and attractive.

Good luck and welcome to the group!

--Jaya

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DeepDreamer! Will you and Nomadichand move in with me and my wife? Our Sponge child just got married and left us with way to much time and money and we don't know what to do with it. (only kidding of course. We're actually broke now).

Welcome! I'm a newbie at least for actualy posting. I was a long time lurker and have stepped out of my 'zone' to try and be a real boy. Hope to get to know you better.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, DeepDreamer!

(Sooner or later, I will get to as many of the people here as I can... sigh... so little time.)

I know what you mean about "work expansion"--for me, short stories stay short stories, and novels do stay novels, but they invariably seem to kind of bloat up on me when I'm not paying attention. "Oh, hey, that's a great idea for a subplot!"

(Insert the sound of the manuscript automatically adding on 10,000 words.)

Oh, well.

I'm not an expert at anything except babbling and writing run-on sentences that drive critiquers nuts, apparently, so you don't have to worry about me being superior to you, or, well, to anyone else here, for that matter. I'm the bottom rung.

[This message has been edited by ScottMiller (edited March 05, 2005).]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.