Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Greetings

Author Topic: Greetings
ArrynSmyth
Member # 2419

- posted      Profile for ArrynSmyth   Email ArrynSmyth         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings, fellow writers! My name is Arryn. I am a 23 year old student who considers himself a newbie to writing fiction. This is my last semester of college, so I've had plenty of free time to waste on hobbies.

I tend to read fantasy most of the time. George RR Martin and R. Scott Bakker are my favorite authors right now. I also have read some science fiction too. I fell in love with Heinlein after reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, but I have not, sadly, got around to reading his other work. John C. Wright is another author that I am fond of.

As for me, I've been throwing around ideas in my head for a few months now and finally decided to start writing it out on my computer. The story will be fantasy no doubt since I plan to play around with various aspects of myth and religion. I have no idea how long the story will be, but it will probably be a novel's length.

Currently, I have 13,000 words of the story written so far. My brother has helped me by critiquing the chapters that I have finished. Alas, he is a non-reader, so I am having a hard time knowing what criticism of his is good or bad. Hopefully, I can get some good feedback from this forum.

Finally, I want to mention that my biggest writing concerns are dialogue, how to build tension, and the devil that is passive/active voice. These problems have been creeping around in the back of my mind because I don't know how to correctly handle them. Ack!

And I believe that is all.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack Arryn!

Make sure to do some searches here and you'll probably find some old discussions of the areas you are interested in.

mm

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Arryn, welcome to Hatrack.

The Open Discussions About Writing thread has some nifty info if that's what you're after.

If you liked "Moon," you might like "Methusula's Children" (sp? title?), or maybe one of Heinlein's juveniles (I've always liked "Citizen Of The Galaxy" best).

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Arryn, Welcome to Hatrack. There's so much information here you'll have a hard time getting through it all. great stuff and great people. Enjoy!

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came here to help motivate my writing as well. Although my novel has been floating around my brain since I was 13 or so. So what is my excuse that I do not have 13000 wrds written yet?!

"Citizen of the Galaxy" is great, a lot of people enjoy "Tunnel in the Sky" as well from Heinlen.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArrynSmyth
Member # 2419

- posted      Profile for ArrynSmyth   Email ArrynSmyth         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I don't know if i could have held out that long. I got my story idea in December and haven't stopped thinking about it since. The only thing I could do to prevent myself from going crazy was to start writing!

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
FreyasFriend
Member # 2426

- posted      Profile for FreyasFriend   Email FreyasFriend         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a couple of charater sketchs to acquaint yourself with them, and let their stories flow onto the pages. You will find that once you know your characters, they will take on a life of their own.
Bem vindo!

Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.