Hatrack River
Home | About Orson Scott Card | News & Reviews | OSC Library | Forums | Contact | Links
Research Area | Writing Lessons | Writers Workshops | OSC at SVU | Calendar | Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » introductions

Author Topic: introductions
ablelaz
Member # 2446

- posted      Profile for ablelaz   Email ablelaz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gang---I am a sixty-seven year old retired maintenance mechanic turned writer. I started writing seriously in 1995 several years before my retirement I have always felt that I could write an interesting and entertaining story, but my trade did not allow one to practise their literary skills to any great extent. Most of what I learned in school about English Ligature I have forgotten, it was a long time ago. Now add this information that I’m dyslectic and you start to get an idea, of some of the, hurtles; I have to overcome.
The western was always my favourite read, so in 1995 I started my western novel. In 2002 the same year I retired I finished the first draft of my novel. Well talk about let down, I had my novel I liked it, and most people who read it agreed with me that it was interesting and entertaining.
Was it good enough to get published?—was my next burning question. It took me nearly two years, a rejection letter and an also ran in a contest, to convince me that no it was not good enough to be published. The punctuation was awful, spelling was atrocious and grammar was a joke.
Well I am now in the process of rewriting it and I’m convinced that rewriting is several times as hard as writing ever was.
I have about ten short stories ranging in length from 1500 to 7000 words.
My weaknesses in writing are punctuation, spelling and grammar. MY strengths so I’m told is my imagination and my story telling ability. Well I guess that will do for now.
Talk to you soon---ablelaz

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! People here are great with teaching. Really, if the storytelling element is there, the other, technical stuff is easy to fix. I hope you have a good time editing your work...it can be hard, but sometimes it's a good way to rediscover elements of your story that you had forgotten, or clarify parts that people didn't pick up on. I personally love editing.

You're a couple steps up on me, by the way. I don't have any rejections yet. That means (obviously) I've never even tried for publication before. However, I expect one to come really soon! It's really rather exciting! You should have a huge collection of rejections, by the way, not just one...how could one rejection (read, one person's opinion that doesn't really reflect on the quality of your story, but might have everything to do with the specific needs of the publisher at the time) shouldn't be able to convince you that your work isn't worthy! Goodness. Post on F&F for critiques, do some critiques yourself, and get your stuff back in the mail!!!

I hope you have a good time on Hatrack! The people here are great!

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited March 21, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Ablelaz!

Posts: 1670 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome... yeah, the people here are great once you get to know us. Bwahaha!

Kidding.

Jeraliey is right. Put that story in the mail.

-HSO

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ablelaz! Welcome. You will find a lot of really talented and good people here. (Not speaking of myself. I'm still pretty new at all this so I'm learning as fast as I can.) I also got a late start a writing but I really enjoy it and hope to really improve my skill. Enjoy your time here.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, abelaz! Welcome to Hatrack.

You'll learn a lot, particularly if you look into getting a HUB.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ablelaz
Member # 2446

- posted      Profile for ablelaz   Email ablelaz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gang---Thanks for the warm greetings. I have been snooping around the site and I ran into a forum were stories are posted. I read the first story in the list, when I was finished I selected critique. Then I was informed I was not allowed to critique this post if I had never critiqued before. So I went on to the next story read it and entered critique this one allowed only comments, no critiques.
Question 1 How does one reach the Plato of having critiqued before if one can’t critique until he has reached that Plato?
Question 2 What is the difference between a critique and a series of comments? I would think one would have to be very careful one didn’t cross over that fussy borderline.
Talk to you soon---ablelaz

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.