Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » My wife tells me...

Author Topic: My wife tells me...
DatBum65
Member # 2452

- posted      Profile for DatBum65   Email DatBum65         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that I've got a "dark imagination". I suppose that's why I write horror fiction, mostly. I also write some "mainstream" stuff, but it usually has a twist of suspense in it somewhere.

I've been writing, off and on, for about 15 years, and have been knocked out by the rejection sledge-hammer a few times, but, hey, that's the business, isn't it?

I live in Phoenix, AZ, and I've been looking for a writer's group since I moved here 5 months ago. No luck. Then a friend of mine turned my on to this site.

I hope to learn, laugh, enjoy myself here. Perhaps someone will straighten me out and tell me to leave writing behind, because I really suck at it! No. Not true, really. I think I can put together a good plot now and then, with an interesting character buried, or bleeding, or getting his/her head severed.

Anyway, it's good to be aboard....

Peace.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
FreyasFriend
Member # 2426

- posted      Profile for FreyasFriend   Email FreyasFriend         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. I'm also new to this site, but have experienced great feedback. I look forward to seeing your work and sharing critiques.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! My sister lives in the Phoenix area but is not a writer at all, so I can't help you there. Sorry. I know your pain though. I can't find any good writer's groups in my area either. This a really great group. I think you'll find it a good substitute.
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

Call me sick in the head, but I really kinda like well-written violence.

Weird, huh? If you knew me, you'd probably think that was REALLY weird.

Posts: 1670 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

I'm new here myself, but I've found it to be a great group of people. I live down in Tucson, which is alas a bit far for a writer's group. I look forward to seeing your work on Frag'N'Feed

-Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My frind writes horror. He just shared a very, very dark tale about a family (mom, dad, two teenagers) that slaughters people for seemingly no reason. I wanted to give input, but all I could think was: Burn this manuscript! BURN IT!

Nothing shocking mind you (as we all have dark sides), but very twisted and grisley.

[This message has been edited by Exploding Monkey (edited March 24, 2005).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard! I don't mind horror if it's well written and it serves a purpose (not just violence for the sake of violence, for example). I look forward to seeing your stuff.
Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
DatBum65
Member # 2452

- posted      Profile for DatBum65   Email DatBum65         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the nice greetings. Well-written horror is hard to come by, isn't it? I don't do splatter-punk or violence for violence's sake. I find that I scare myself more than others, though, but still I try.

[This message has been edited by DatBum65 (edited March 24, 2005).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heya, DatBum65. This is one of the most laid-back forums I've ever seen, compared to most on the web. I wouldn't worry about being trashed.

As for horror: I like a good monster, but I intensely dislike splatter or darkness for the sake of darkness, for personal reasons (let's just say that a few acquaintances of mine became victims of horribly violent crimes many years ago and leave it at that). I have a visceral reaction to that kind of thing not unlike Exploding Monkey's.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.