Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » New but not new to writing....

Author Topic: New but not new to writing....
RaymondJohn34
Member # 2595

- posted      Profile for RaymondJohn34   Email RaymondJohn34         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone.
My name is Raymond but am also sometimes called Ray.
I've been writing now for 20 years (same story actually). When someone talks about the intricacies in life getting in the way, I sure know what that means. Looking back, I'm sure there were ways that I could have helped myself, but in those younger days, I didn't know about any of those ways. I will tell you that it was not drugs or prison or anything like that that prevented me from finising my story....just all those little things in life....
My Story is Science-Fiction Fantasy and a bit of Horror....something I haven't been quite adept telling in my story however (the Horror that is...)
I have had the first chapter of my story on another Critique Group with only one person responding to critiquing it. Even though he didn't read the entire Posting, he did have a lot to say and made me realize that my writing still needs some mechanical structure....(one of the problems he focused on was my over-use of Elipsis dots (....). I thought they were used to show a pause in a thought or even a sentence....<---see, still do it out of habit. I do have two good books (Elements of Grammar and Elements of Style), but feel there is more to the mechanics of writing than I feel these books tell me, so..., here I am....I hope to see if I can learn more and hope to one day soon be ready enough to submit my 'finished' story to a publisher.
I sure hope to get to know anyone who enjoys writing Fantasy. Although I know I have trouble with the mechanics of writing, my imagination soars and I often mix the realism that I've been through in my own life in my story and feel that I may be able to give advice on story structure and realism also.
I welcome any emails so don't hesitate to write...
--Raymond John

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Ray! Sounds like you'll fit right in. Welcome!

I'm sure you'll get plenty of critiquing here. We're opinionated, but we mean well!

Anyway, go over to Fragments and Feedback and start to build relationships there by giving and receiving critiques.

Welcome again.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
jeduthun
Member # 2563

- posted      Profile for jeduthun   Email jeduthun         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, welcome. In my short time here, my writing has improved drastically. The critiques are blunt and specific, and mostly very useful. You'll find some who "get" you and some who don't, but it's all done with a lot of respect and intelligence.

If you're looking for books, I know Characters and Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card has helped me quite a bit. You won't find anything about grammar and punctuation in there, only useful ideas for creating and developing characters. Plot, by Ansen Dibell, was pretty good, too. And OSC's How to Write Science Fiction...I'm sure others will have their suggestions, too.

And again, welcome.

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah... I know what you mean about abusing those elipses... I tend to use them a lot myself and find I have to nearly sit on my fingers to stop... I think we need to start a 12-step group ... Elipses Anonymous...

Welcome to Hatrack...

Posts: 2025 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm in. Maybe we should expand it to include over-abuse of any form of punctuation. I am really bad with the elipses, but I think my major abuse is of semicolons. Those things are addictive!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RaymondJohn34
Member # 2595

- posted      Profile for RaymondJohn34   Email RaymondJohn34         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....wow...I guess the boat I'm in is bigger than I thought LOL
By the way, did I mention my abuse of the elipsis's followed by a comma (...,)
I want to post my 13 lines but also don't want to step on anyones toes but I can see this Board seems to be a first come first serve basis, so now I guess its going to have to take a little nerves on my part....not that I can't take critism..., just need to take a breath and do it.
Anyways, before I get side-tracked any further, I would like to thank everyone who welcomed me so far to the board....glad to meet you all.
--Raymond John

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.