Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Drivel about me...

Author Topic: Drivel about me...
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Mark.

I am mostly tired and punchy. But in between long weeks at work and several battles with bad habits, I try to get some writing in.

Several years ago when I was a sixth grade teacher I decided to start writing juvenile literature. That dream ended when I ran screaming in terror from the profession and faced the prospect of building a brand new career. I participated in Community Theater while scrubbing away the pedagogical dust, and I slipped on a bar of creativity that landed my bum in the technical seat of computer networking in a company inhabited by several of my new theater friends.

During my career building I looked back longingly at the abortive writing career, and those old ideas began developing to a more sophisticated level. (Or so is my delusion.) About three years ago I slowed the Computer Networking insanity to a reasonable coast, and resolved to get serious about writing. I have two major projects I have been working on.

One is a large work that arose from the scattered juvenile stuff I had on the scrap heap. It is a fantasy work, and I have spent a large amount of time building a long, cursory (still unfinished) history for it. I am currently working on a spontaneous idea for a story inspired by that history.

I am also working on a script for a play. I am (hopefully) weeks away from finishing the 1st draft.

I have written text for a picture book for probably a first or second grade reading level, and I am currently waiting for my illustrator to do her part. Other projects on the back burners include some comical satire (yes, I actually think Iím funnyÖsometimes), a murder mystery, some philosophical works on faith and reason (dry, dry, dryÖ), a couple ideas for picture books, and a couple script ideas.

I am single, 42, and live in Omaha, NE. Iím the third of a testosterone-heavy family of 11 kids. Presently, my favorite author is Graham Greene, though I have enjoyed several of OSCís works immensely.

My primary goals are to finish the script and a novel-length work. I will worry about contests and publishing after I actually have something finished and find out if Iím even any good.

Ciao,
Mark

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkG
Member # 3420

- posted      Profile for MarkG   Email MarkG         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm another Mark and I just joined! I like to write fantasy too so maybe we can swap stories/ideas sometimes. I've been writing a long time and been in plenty of groups. Still plugging away in the hopes of someday being published but trying to finish what I have before I do much publishing research.

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RCSHIELDS
Member # 3362

- posted      Profile for RCSHIELDS   Email RCSHIELDS         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, a fellow thespian. I'm currently playing a part in a Musical Murder Mystery that we perform on a train. In a few days my wife and I well open in another musical at BSU. (BSU really is a universtiy.) This forum offers a great deal of instruction, entertainment, and creative input. Hoping to see your posts.

Rob.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.