Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello Hatrack!

Author Topic: Hello Hatrack!
CrazyDude
Member # 6811

- posted      Profile for CrazyDude   Email CrazyDude         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello members of the Hatrack Forums. My name is Jeremy, but online I go by the name CrazyDude (and it is an appropriate one, let me assure you).

I'm a student who loves stories and who wishes to someday, perhaps, God-willing write some of my own to make an impact on people that the stories I've read have had on me. Unfortunately, I am also a huge procrastinator and have to kick myself in the face to get any initiative to work on anything (which is a hard task, mind you -- It's a long stretch). I do have quite a few story ideas for short fiction and novel length that I just haven't gotten around to shaping into anything. Which is why I want to start posting here (though I've been wandering around for some time as a spectator). Soon enough I'll have something tangible and I want to have the opinions of other fellow readers and writers to either encourage or rebuke me.

On a side-note, I'm also very much interested in music and I'm in a band which is just now starting to get shows and we'll probably record a demo very soon. I play guitar and sing in my spare time and I absolutely love wasting away hours (when I'm not reading, of course) playing Halo 3, Carcassonne, and/or chillin' with the guys.

I'm also very much in love with Jesus Christ, as he is my Lord and Savior and if you want to know more as to the why and how of that, just let me know sometime and I'll be glad to share.

To be honest, not much else happens in my life. Within the past week or so I've been trying my hand at a lot of writing that before I only considered and pondered on (again, Halo 3 seems to be taking up considerable amounts of my time). So I'm just looking for a place where people can tell me where I suck so I can fix it.

I also look forward to reading and commenting on (to the best of my abilities) all of your stories. Don't know how much of a help I'll be, but by golly, I'll do my best.

Thanks for having me and enduring my blabbering!

-CrazyDude

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack, CrazyDude. What kind og music do you play? What bands influence you?
Posts: 3677 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kms
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for kms   Email kms         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack.

As a fellow Christian, I'd like to know to what extent you incorporate your faith in your writing. I'd like to insert it into my own work to some extent, without writing exclusively for Christians, but I'm wary of alienating not only readers, but also agents and publishers. On the other hand, works involving religion seem to be more acceptable these days. What are your thoughts?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyDude
Member # 6811

- posted      Profile for CrazyDude   Email CrazyDude         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For InarticulateBabbler: The band I'm in is currently playing metalcore, but I like to play and listen to rock, alternative, screamo, hardcore, metal, classical, emo, punk, indie...Anything that isn't rap or country. But yeah, I'm definitly into the heavy stuff. Can't help myself.

For kms: I've incorporated my faith in a short story I wrote once called "Prophet", but so far that's the extent of it. I love Ted Dekker and how he uses it in his newer novels. The Circle Trilogy was a bit over saturated with it to the point that it made the story less enjoyable, but novels like Showdown and Saint that he has done I would like to use as a standard for incorporating faith.

I definitly don't want to limit myself to writing just Christian fiction. I want to be able to reach people who don't shop at Mustardseed for their novels. I don't believe I should leave out my faith in stories as I see it as an opportunity to witness to people, but then again people aren't looking to be preached to. They want a good story.

That's why I don't want to over do it. My main witness is going to be outside of my work anyway; when people see me on the street or at book signings or whatever. I'll use that time to witness. As for literature, if it works for the story, use it. Give them a good read. Don't use the story for preaching.

That is my outlook on it for now at least. I definitly don't want to compromise my faith in Christ for book sales however. No matter what opportunity I'm given.

-CrazyDude

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Crazy Dude -

Welcome to Hatrack. But don't kick yourself in the face...

I'm glad you love Jesus. Me too. Although I dare say we love Him is sufficiently different ways that we would be frustrated should we spend our time focusing on that to start off.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.