Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello, All.

Author Topic: Hello, All.
Kirona
Member # 7125

- posted      Profile for Kirona           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm not the most fluid and eloquent when I'm just typing a letter-type thingy (anything that isn't roleplaying or part of a story, or directly related to one of those).

Anyways, Hello. I'm Kirona, and I've been wanting to join this site since I found it when I was sixteen.

I registered the other day (over six months after my eighteenth birthday, oh what a world...) and here I am.

umm....(looks at other 'hello type posts for ideas)

I've been working on one (read: several all at once) book(s) for several years, with the results as of now being several dozen MSWord files in a hive of folders and subfolders, most of the files either being notes or being stuffed into various 'failed' folders. I start over whenever I hit a roadblock, or realize that I forgot to include a vital scene three chapters ago, or realize that the storyline can't continue in the way that I've been going, or whenever I decide that I want green Jello. You know, for whatever reason hits me when I get irritated at my roadblock.

I have files (156 files in 34 folders, all stored within another folder) ranging from a few paragraphs to eleven chapters (the longest is midway through the eleventh chapter - 1/3 the way down page 35 of an MSWord file with basic formatting and 10-point Times New Roman font). There are also numerous files listing characters, settings, worlds, calendar systems, system specs (I have sci-fi stuff as well as fantasy stuff), character backgrounds (biography-type things), templates for character creation, cultural structures, symbolism, lists and details on various races (dragon, elf, human, gryphon, etc.), gods, religious systems, nations, languages (It's actually kinda fun working on fully functional fictional languages), and several image files with world maps.

The main story I'm working on currently is a fantasy world in which the main character is the side-effect of an ancient battle, where too many magicks all at once created an explosion and fused the base information of every living being within the blast radius (Around 100 miles, I haven't decided definitely yet), the result being the main character. Oh, and he only has one third of his soul. Another third is in a small albino dragon (the only dragon in the 'present day' to be able to use magic), while the final third is in a golden-feathered gryphon (somewhere along the gryphon's heritage is dragon blood, he's immortal and has scales along his spine).

I might post more on it later, if I can find a way to summarize the concept better, but as for now, that's enough.

Anywho, hello everyone!

Posts: 58 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Petra
Member # 7126

- posted      Profile for Darth Petra   Email Darth Petra         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ho, newbie.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostincyberspace
Member # 7185

- posted      Profile for Lostincyberspace   Email Lostincyberspace         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello back
Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joec
Member # 7127

- posted      Profile for joec   Email joec         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, fellow newbie! God, that sounded stupid... anyway, let's have fun here and learn a lot! ^_^

---
Joe

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kirona,

Good luck with writing your novel. You might want to take a pass through at least sketching out the plot, then come back and revise. Then again, everyone seems to have a different system.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.