Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » New member rambling on about herself...

Author Topic: New member rambling on about herself...
joec
Member # 7127

- posted      Profile for joec   Email joec         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings!

My name is Johanna (but I am called Joe online, so feel free to call me that), and I am nineteen years old. I live in Sweden, so my English grammar and/or spelling might not always be up to par, but I am trying to get better at it as I move along.

I love writing and reading, and I have been a 'writer' all my life. When I was young I started to write poetry and I loved the proud feeling in the pit of my stomach as someone praised me for my work. Yes, that does sound horrible, but I don't mean it like I only wrote to be praised. I did it for myself, thank you very much.Soon, I found that it was much more fun, and personally rewarding, to write stories instead.

I have been writing for almost fourteen years now, from my first poems and childish stories about witches and trolls to a variety of genres as the years have passed.

I have not yet had a piece published, other than at the equivalent of a school-paper in fifth-grade, but, I have been the first-place holder in a short story competition that earned me a three-week scholarship in Bakersfield, California. The story was a work of non-fiction, one of the very few that I have ever written.

I am possibly infatuated with history and the medieval times as well as the 'Regency' period, but I have a lot of other genres that I appreciate. Take a good mystery for example. There is nothing more relaxing than curling up in an armchair, letting your mind wrap itself around the twists and turns of the novel as the protagonist racks his(or her) brain for the solution. I have especially enjoyed the novels by Dan Brown, like 'The DaVinci Code' and 'Digital Fortress'.

I do not dislike any particular genre, except pure erotica without any plot what so ever. Another big 'no-no' of mine is to read a story with shallow characters without any development as the story proceeds. Hopefully I am not making the same mistake as I write myself.

I do have a few stories planned, but I am usually too distracted to write since I have a short attention span, and when my muses leave me, I am completely lost. I guess I just have to learn to deal with it and give myself a swift kick in the butt when procrastination rears its ugly head.

Works published: none as of yet
Works in first place in competition: One (a few poems and a story or two while still in junior-high, or the Swedish equivalent of such.)
Works in progress: 1 Novel, 8 fan-fictions, 1 children's picture-book
Finished works: 7 Short stories (countless stories and poems written as a child)
Works not yet in progress (planning stage): 2
Story\Novel ideas (works not yet at planning stage): 38

I am a busy little bunny, aren't I?

I am notorious for taking on much more work than I can actually handle, but, even so, I am hoping for a career as an author. Even if progress is slow some times.

Well, that was a ("brief") introduction of me, and believe me, if you let me ramble on about myself, there is no stopping it. XD

Sincerely
---
Johanna/Joe

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, joec. So is that jo-ek or is it jo-see? I know, it is probably just Joe C.

Good luck in all your endeavors!

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joec
Member # 7127

- posted      Profile for joec   Email joec         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you're right. My nom de plume is Joe Carter, or at least it used to be, now I'm using my real name. But I have been too lazy to change it, and I still use it as my username everywhere.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.