Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello to all here

Author Topic: Hello to all here
JBaird
Member # 7280

- posted      Profile for JBaird   Email JBaird         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I would introduce myself before I got started

My name is Jonathan Baird. I grew up in the mountains of NC. I have been writing since I was a kid I still have some of the stuff I wrote in Elementary school. I was the editor and main writer on an underground paper in High School called the "Enquiring Hitchhiker". After High School I went to Western Carolina University and majored in Anthropology. I also attended Grad school at Western but I left before I finished. I have been working as an archaeologist for the past ten years. In that time I have had some articles published in local and state medieval reenactment publications and have had an article in an International reenactment magazine with a circulation of around 30,000. About a year and a half ago I contracted Lymes disease a tick borne illness. At the time I was one of the staff archaeologists at Ft. Stewart in Georgia. I moved back to NC to be near my family as I recovered and returned to school. I am currently working on my teaching certificate and will also be finishing my Master's degree. Currently I am working on a series of fantasy/alternate history short stories set in the South about twenty years after the Civil War.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack, JBaird.

As I am an ardent reader of Historic Fiction and Fantasy, your current WIP sounds interesting. Good Luck on it.

Posts: 3682 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBaird
Member # 7280

- posted      Profile for JBaird   Email JBaird         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once I have read over everything I will post my first 13 lines tonight.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, JBaird...

Nasty about the lyme disease. Hope you are recovering/recovered well!

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBaird
Member # 7280

In some ways it is like Malaria which was the late 19th and early 20th century occupational disease of Archaeologists. It comes and goes even after you think it's gone.
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, malaria. Nothing like running a 106 degree fever and having a couple of your "friends" pull you into a cold water shower and hold you there while you shiver. Man was I lucky I was one of the "friends."

Welcome, JBaird. Hope you are feeling better. Too bad you can't take the Lyme's version of Primaquin and nuke all the bugs in your system. Of course, so few Americans actually go outside these days, I'm guessing there is less money spent on Lyme's research and prevention than there is on malaria, even today...

Look forward to reading your stuff,

T2

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdawgpoet
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for bigdawgpoet   Email bigdawgpoet         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Jon!

Truly a terrible thing, Lyme's disease. Well, I trust you are recovering well and with speed.

Certainly, it is good that you are back with your family, and are writing actively.

Glad you're here!

~Ben

Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.