Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello World

Author Topic: Hello World
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, no, Tiergan is not my birth name. And not even the name I truly wanted. I wanted to come up with a really cool name for this site, but…writers block. No, not really, Tiergan, if my memory serves me right, is an Irish name meaning stubborn, and that is what I hear we must be if we are to write. And it is also the name for the main character in my next fantasy novel, my fourth. Yes, my fourth. My first, I did everything wrong. Instead of an 80,000 – 120,000 word stand-alone novel, I wrote a 160,000 word novel of a planned quintet, and that was just 1 of the 3 volumes in the series. Yes, I know, ambition is a good thing, but only if kept in check. Last January, that would be 07’, while I was building my rejection pile from agents on the first novel, I began writing the second book in the series, and after editing it completely, realized my writing might be better served by writing a stand-alone novel of the more realistic length of 100,000 words. So I did. My third book, finished at 96,000 words is currently out with friends being edited, but I feel a more impartial view will do more for me as they end up reading it, enjoying it, they say, more than editing it. As far as the fourth book, I work here and there on it but am concentrating on making the third, the best it can be. And that brings me here, I feel working more on the craft of writing versus just writing the stories that cloud my mind will be time better spent.

Last, I am a first time forum user, any forum that is, and to be honest, petrified that I will wind up like the rest of my siblings, spending all day chatting, and emailing and never actually writing. Never the less, I plan to post my first 13 from the third book in the days to come, and hope to read more of yours and offer my opinions, for whatever they are worth, and I guess we’ll take it from there.

Posts: 1161 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack.
Posts: 3677 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to have you
Posts: 1860 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swallgren
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Tiergan. Be not afraid of the forum; it is a comforting place to come and refine the craft.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, and happy *belated* Patty's day.
This is my first forum, too.
I, also, have friends and family like you describe -Too much chatting, not enough writing.
I thought the remedy was a swift kick to the bottoms of their chairs but that only made them angry with me. I've been trying to find a 'chatters anonymous' club to rehabilitate them, but no such luck...

I hope you have better luck, and if you do tell me where it is. I need to get them out of the house as soon as possible, their bodies are fusing to their computer chairs!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Posts: 1161 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Petra
Member # 7126

- posted      Profile for Darth Petra   Email Darth Petra         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have trouble comming up with cool names. Until I read "Ender's Game", and found out "Petra" was a name. Most times, "Petra" is taken, but then, I stuck "Darth" in front of it, and that's usually creative enough to get me through.

My full title is "Darth Petra, Hegemon of Gondor", but that's far too long for a user name. You can call me Petra, DP, or "Darthie". Whatever. I'm bored now.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.