Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Good Tidings!

Author Topic: Good Tidings!
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

- posted      Profile for OlsenOlsen   Email OlsenOlsen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there. I am obviously new here and just starting to get into the flow of things. I am 16, a junior in high school. Within the last couple of months, mostly this last summer I have gotten into writing, and love it. I'm just beginning my second attempt at a novel idea I have. I don't have much time to write though, with studies, sports, and work. Hopefully pretty soon here I will get my 13 lines up and start getting some feedback. I like reading sci/fi (OSC) and anything else that is good. I really admire the way JRR Tolkein writes, and the way he puts together his stories. So, I can't wait to start reading other's work and have some read mine!

[This message has been edited by OlsenOlsen (edited September 16, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by OlsenOlsen (edited September 16, 2008).]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkhodgepodge
Member # 8191

- posted      Profile for jkhodgepodge   Email jkhodgepodge         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! Congrats on starting so early in life
Posts: 34 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there, OlsenOlsen -

Welcome to Hatrack! I welcome everyone with a movie of the month. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away there was a movie that didn't have a kangaroo with a speach impediment in it and casting directors actually made children read lines before filming started.
Here is such a movie - The original, and seldom improved upon, Star Wars -

"Listen to them. They're dying, R2. Curse my metal body!"

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WelcomeWelcome, and here's yourlink to the Hatrack Utility Belt, also known as the H.U.B. EnjoyEnjoy.
Posts: 8273 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1161 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just have to ask. You said "a novel idea". Do you mean you have an idea about a novel you intend to write or that you have a unique idea about something ? Sorry. I just couldn't resist.

Now that I have that out of my system, follow me down here, and we'll get you seated with everyone else. It's not often that we have members in your age group, but it's never too young to start writing if your heart's in it.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

- posted      Profile for OlsenOlsen   Email OlsenOlsen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it is a unique idea kind of. Maybe just an average idea... but I did mean for it to be a novel I intend to write. As you know

Thanks everyone

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've already been offered the HUB.

Now, consider, Heinlein's Rules: the BASIC program!

10 WRITE
20 END WRITE
30 PRINT
40 MAIL
50 IF REJECTED THEN GOTO 120
60 IF ASKED TO REVISE THEN GOTO 80
75 IF SALE MADE THEN GOTO 140
70 IF WAITING THEN GOTO 150
80 REVISE PER EDITOR
90 RE-SUBMIT PER EDITOR
100 GOTO 150
120 RE-PRINT
125 RE-MAIL
130 GOTO 150
140 CELEBRATION
150 WRITE NEW
160 GOTO 20

Notice, there are no GOSUB in this program.

Why? The GOSUB, as it applies to Heinlein's Rules, invariably lacks a RETURN statement, and thus you end up leaving the program altogether and get stuck in a productionless, endless loop.

Examples of GOSUB would be:

WORRY OVER REJECTION
RE-WRITE BASED ON INTERNAL CRITIC
RE-WRITE BASED ON GROUP CRITIC
PROCRASTINATE (the biggest one!)

And millions of others. If you've been doing this for any length of time, you will have invented your own subroutines that have put you into a productionless, endless loop.

And then, of course, it's time to reboot! (Remember the Apple II?)

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

I don't understand what the HUB or heinlen's rules do...
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heinlein's Rules are basically...

1 - You must write
2 - You must finish what you write
3 - You must submit finished work to the markets
4 - Never re-write unless an editor says so
5 - Keep finished work on the market until it sells
6 - Repeat Step 1

It's a set of rules designed to push you ever-forward and never let you rest on your butt.

Robert J. Sawyer does a good disection of them, here:

http://www.sfwriter.com/ow05.htm

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Olsen -- any relation to Mary Kate and Asley?
Welcome to the Hatrack. You have my respect and I encourage your ambition! I wish I had your drive at your age! I applaud you seeking out a writers group. If you continue to pursue your goals in life, I envy the writer you will be at my age. Anytime you need someone to read through your stuff, please forward it to me. I'll be glad to help you further your dreams in anyway I can. What are your immediate goals? (Besides make it through high school?)

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OlsenOlsen -

The HUB is a place where you can go to invite inspiration and perfect your penmanship.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlizarinFire
Member # 7303

- posted      Profile for AlizarinFire   Email AlizarinFire         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome OlsenOlsen!

I am still hashing through ideas I had in high school. It's amazing how inspiring a boring prof can be for a writer. Good luck with your novel idea and keep writing whenever you can!

Cheers,
Melissa

Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

That makes quite a bit more sense, thanks everyone! I sorry I haven't been checking this thread, I posted my first 13 lines. My novel doesn't have a title yet. But the thread is titled, (Untitled Novel) There is war. Take a look at it please!

Reagansgame, I will definitely take you up on that offer. Once I write a little bit more of it this weekend I will forward it to you.

Some immediate goals? Well besides finishing high school and going through college, my goal is to actually finish a book before I graduate, if that is possible I do not yet know. More importantly I want to try to get across the overall theme of my book, which is somewhat tough, it is hope.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

OlsenOlsen -

Just a warning. There are many college professors out there who see it as their purpose to tear your manuscript to shreads and watch you wallow in your own tears. Don't let them tear you apart. The critique area is a good place to go to strengthen yourself. And the more you fail now, though unpleasant, the stronger it will make you in the future.

Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Philo brings up an excellant point. Olsen, that's one of the greatest rules of writing. Writers, as a rule, enjoy "hearing themselves talk" myself included. Be prepared, discipline yourself now to separate out the instruction from the crits. That way you don't lose out on genuine help the heartless prof. bury in their monologue of destructive instruction. Take what is worthwhile from an instructor or another writer, but separate yourself enough from your work that you don't feel automatically defensive of your talents. Its something I'm trying to get through my head, still. You sound as if you have an ultimate meaning for your work, and that is the focus you can hold onto when you run across those self-important advisors. Think of it as a solitare game of Survival, and only the strongest survive. Or something...
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

Thanks for the advise you two, although I have 2 years until college, I'm sure the time will go by fast. I like how you said writers "enjoy hearing themselves talk". When you say this, are you meaning in your writing? Could you elaborate for me, I'm not completely grasping it yet. Thanks.

I've been thinking about giving some of my work to my AP Lang/comp teacher. Now I'm not sure whether i will or not because I have this site. What would you do? Reagan, I wrote some more last night, I may forward it to you later today, if not, then soon.

marchpane
Member # 8021

- posted      Profile for marchpane   Email marchpane         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, and welcome to Hatrack from another (relative) newbie...

I had to ask. Is your username a Sigur Rós reference?

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

It is! I love sigur ros. I didn't know what to have my user name to be, for a writer's forum, So I thought Olsen wasn't too bad. When i write, I for the most part listen to sigur ros. Do other's write with music? Sometimes I do prefer silence though.
marchpane
Member # 8021

- posted      Profile for marchpane   Email marchpane         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should ask...

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/005138.html

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings! Have a brownie!

I'm not a fan of Heinlein's rules, especially not for begining writers and especially not for the apparent current state of the market.

In fact, the very existence of this place is in direct oposition to heinlein's rules, since he claims(ed) that you shouldnt edit or re write based on anything but an editor (which seems to mean by implication you shouldnt seek non editorial critiques of your work.)

Then I'm just not big on "rules" for writing period. I say write, submit, share with others as another pair of eyes is always good, and learn from each rejection.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.