Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » The Obligatory Intro Post :-p

Author Topic: The Obligatory Intro Post :-p
Starbrusttiger
Member # 8187

- posted      Profile for Starbrusttiger           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very excited to be a member of this workshop. After skimming through posts, I feel that this forum is a very positive environment where I can grow and glean experience from other writers who have been where I am now.

I have been interested in writing since I was a little girl in grade school. I wrote my first short story when I was 14 and then had a dry period where I became distracted by boys and family problems. At 21 I entered college and began writing again. In the past two years I have been dedicated to developing my writing abilities and have maintained a steady writing and reading schedule. Currently I am working on a couple short stories and the second draft of my first novel. My novel is fantasy, but I am interested in many different genres and hope that I can find a way to write more than one genre without upsetting any potential publishers.

I am also learning as much as I can about the publishing industry and hope that I can find some good, first hand advice here.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've already been offered the HUB.

Now, consider, Heinlein's Rules: the BASIC program!

10 WRITE
20 END WRITE
30 PRINT
40 MAIL
50 IF REJECTED THEN GOTO 120
60 IF ASKED TO REVISE THEN GOTO 80
75 IF SALE MADE THEN GOTO 140
70 IF WAITING THEN GOTO 150
80 REVISE PER EDITOR
90 RE-SUBMIT PER EDITOR
100 GOTO 150
120 RE-PRINT
125 RE-MAIL
130 GOTO 150
140 CELEBRATION
150 WRITE NEW
160 GOTO 20

Notice, there are no GOSUB in this program.

Why? The GOSUB, as it applies to Heinlein's Rules, invariably lacks a RETURN statement, and thus you end up leaving the program altogether and get stuck in a productionless, endless loop.

Examples of GOSUB would be:

WORRY OVER REJECTION
RE-WRITE BASED ON INTERNAL CRITIC
RE-WRITE BASED ON GROUP CRITIC
PROCRASTINATE (the biggest one!)

And millions of others. If you've been doing this for any length of time, you will have invented your own subroutines that have put you into a productionless, endless loop.

And then, of course, it's time to reboot! (Remember the Apple II?)

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, that's the Borg/Cylon method of writing. Here's another.

Write something that makes you happy and post the first 13 lines in Fragments and Feedback section. A bunch of us will read and offer you some comments on it (you may even get a couple to offer to look at the whole thing). Generally, anything that catches our eye and think is a problem you'll probably find althrough your story. (POV violations, passive writing, speech tags, that sort of thing).
If your desire is too write then this is the place to learn.
We'll be awaiting.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 17, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Resistance is futile.

Be the Borg. Having fun is for hobbyists. You can have fun when the checks start coming in.

Meanwhile, shoot your muse. In the head. He/she was cheating on you anyway and was never a reliable companion.

Bury the body.

And get back to work.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Brad, you must be a time traveller, because I haven't offered Starbrusttiger the link to the Hatrack Utility Belt, also known as the H.U.B. yet.

Welcome, Starbrusttiger, and please see my previous sentence for what Brad was referring to at the beginning of his post.

Posts: 8275 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

Whoops.

Time travel indeed.

"It's your KIDS, Marty!"

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1161 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still standing around are we? Well, I'll fix that right now. If you'd be so kind as to come this way, I have a seat waiting for you right here. There ya go.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Star! I'm trying to learn everything I possibly can about publishers, too. I thought I knew it all, but I was so wrong. Maybe we should sit down some time and exchange notes! What kind of short stories are you writing? I'm nervously submitting my first short stories this year to the writer's digest contest (all genres accepted, cool prizes, even for honorable mention) maybe you should give it a shot too. Since coming to Hatrack, I've started trying new things, too. This place is full of folks who will help out in a pinch!
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there, Starbrusttiger -

I hope you haven't been confused by this base, sick discussion about Borgs, Cylons, and people quoting the end of Back to the Future.
First of all, this is more of a Johnny-5 method of writing if we were to use a temporal comparison. Borg programming is much more complicated. As for Cylons, I suppose it would depend on which Battlestar series, but even the old Cylons were more like DOS.
By the way, who changed the movie? Beware -

"I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home..."

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starbrusttiger
Member # 8187

- posted      Profile for Starbrusttiger           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reagan -

I've been writing fantasy for the most part, but I try not to limit myself to one genre. I have written short stories that range from literary fiction to sci-fi and have an idea for a novel that is on the back burner at the moment that is also literary fiction (although, I admit that I find that term to be subjective.)

The only thing I can't seem to write is romance. Never have been one for bodice-rippers.

I would love to compare notes on the publishing industry, although I'm honestly finding out new things every day and do not consider myself an expert by any means.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.