Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » NEWb

Author Topic: NEWb
cjpatrick
Member # 8225

- posted      Profile for cjpatrick   Email cjpatrick         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. I've been visiting this website for quite awhile and never really ventured beyond OSC's writing lessons and his essays. I was astonished to find this "workshop" forum and had to be a part of it immediately. I'll go ahead and leave everyone with a short biography if they're interested. I look forward to meeting all of you and sharing our works to read and critique!

My name is Cory Patrick and I am a Senior at Jacksonville State University majoring in Criminal Justice and minoring in English. I chose Criminal Justice because it had the lowest math requirements of any other major I could find and I had no clue what my life's ambitions were. I figured by the end of my second year I would have found a more suitable major and changed it. It wasn't until half way through college that I realized the reason I could never find a career path that appealed to me was because my passion was for literature. I changed my minor to English at that point ( I was already so close to graduating with my B.S. in Criminal Justice it seemed a waste of time to completely change.) At this point in my life I've decided to search for a career within the CJ field that will still afford me the time to write in the evenings and weekends. My soon-to-be wife is currently getting her Master's degree in accounting. I currently live in Alabama and have for close to ten years since moving from Cincinatti in 1999.

Thank you all!
-Cory Patrick

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Cory Patrick.

Here's your link to the Hatrack Utility Belt, also known as the H.U.B., and I hope you have fun with it.

Posts: 8269 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Mr. Patrick.

Your entry into college sounds a lot like mine.

Ergo, I had no clue what I wanted to do either, but I also had a big fancy for reading and literature; at least SF and F.

Criminal Justice major, eh? Still working on it? Ever consider ROTC? (No, I am not kidding...) We need good officers.

Anyway, you've got the HUB. Now here is your TA-50 as well. Hope you find one or both useful.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
innesjen
Member # 6126

- posted      Profile for innesjen   Email innesjen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack!
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least you went to college. I never made it because I had no idea where I wanted to got with my life, and look where I ended up... working in a factory. I wish I knew then what I know now. My life would've ended up quite different, I'm sure.

So would you like to come inside? Looks like it could start raining, again. Here, let me take your coat. This way please. Is this recliner to your tastes? And speaking of tastes, I'm sure refreshments will be along shortly.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome.
Posts: 1161 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjpatrick
Member # 8225

- posted      Profile for cjpatrick   Email cjpatrick         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks I appreciate the welcome. The TA-50 as well. I am still going to school. I am set to graduate at the end of this semester though. I'm just hoping to find a job that pays well enough to take care of the bills and give me some free time to write and spend with my family. I have no desires whatsoever to climb any ladders to any high paying positions. I have considered ROTC though, on numerous occasions. When I was going to Auburn both of my roomates did Airforce ROTC and a guy I work with is doing Army. I think, however, I don't care to move around too much which seems to be a necessity in military life. I spent most of my childhood moving from one place to the next I think I'll take a break for a decade or so. I agree with the "if I knew then what I know now" statement. I think we all feel that way sometimes, but then again that's cheating, we have to go through the crap to learn those valuable lessons, and sometimes it's easier for others, which is frustrating, but all we can do is take what we know now and apply it to the future. Once again thanks for the welcome I look forward to posting some stuff on here and reading others stories as well.
-Cory

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello Cory Patrick! Welcome, from a native in the Heart of Dixie! Our family is spread out from Decatur/Hartselle all the way down to us, we live about 20 min from Gulf Shores. Ten years practically makes you southern, (unless you put clothes on your dog on a regular basis). Lotsa good authors live in Al. the author of Forrest Gump lives just down the road from me. I think its because when you live in Alabama for long enough, you have to have a good imagination. Well, glad you came and congrats on your soon-to-be-wedding!
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings! Have some chess pie!
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Cory -

Welcome to Hatrack! I had a similar experience in college, except I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do and ended up doing something very different (several things, actually). I changed my major the second half of my junior year from English to Sociology, which, as you know, is very similar to CJ. There are many careers in your field that will allow you the time that you want.

I am the community cinemaphile, and I screen a movie each month. This month's movie is already over. However, tell me, is there a movie that inspired your love for sci-fi?

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark_w_16601
Member # 8229

- posted      Profile for mark_w_16601   Email mark_w_16601         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome fellow newcomer.

Your studies will make for a great base for mystery novels. By the way, I didn't do it.

Good luck,

Mark

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.