Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello from the Northwest

Author Topic: Hello from the Northwest
DB
Member # 8483

- posted      Profile for DB   Email DB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I've never participated on this forum, but I am well aware of Kathleen and the good work she does. Several years ago she helped match me in a writing group here on Hatrack and that group propelled me to the publication of my first book. I've been in touch with her through the Nauvoo forum off and on (my off mostly--time is fleeting to be sure). I do want to be more involved because the forums help me focus on writing.

I'm probably older than many here, but I hope you will overlook that. I had the opportunity to be in an advance writing class with OCS while in college. I'm sure he wouldn't remember me, but I remember him. Even as a student he was an excellent writer and has alway inspired me to stretch myself, but I followed a business course after college, trying to hide from the pen and empty page.

I played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons way back at the beginning, and a few years ago I began to feel my mortality and decided I wanted to leave something for my children (6) and grandchildren (soon to be 20 in October) to remember me by. I pulled out all my D&D notes and thought I have a world, characters, beginnings of plots. So I started to write. After a couple of years of experimenting and attending Writers Conferences to hone my skills, and several rejection letters, I decided that I probably didn't have time to play the traditional publishing game. I understand business too well and soon realized that my market was my kids and grandkids first and last; anyone else would be gravy. So I explored the new (at that time) POD (print on demand) technology and published that way.

I have published two books in The Brazen Serpent Chronicles--Talon of Light and The Caduceus. Every year I go to GenCon, the big gaming convention, in Indianapolis and sell them for fun. Surprisingly I have had great reception and receive emails off and on asking if the new book is finished yet. I have had some very kind reviews on Amazon. It is an amazing feeling when someone you don't know says kind things about something you have done for your grandkids.

I am working on the third book--Dragon Kiln, but it has been slow going. I plan to write 6-8 books, all in the same world, but they are all stand alone novels. A character or item will connect the books, but if I do my job right, you could read them in any order. What I want to paint a snapshot history of the world from the birth of the three ancient kingdoms to their fall and rebirth out of the ashes. For example The Talon of Light is a sword, but Dragon Kiln goes back a thousand years to when the sword was forged. The history of the sword becomes the connecting link. I basically write to an adult audience, with concepts and themes that resonate with adults, but good readers down to 13 and 14 have enjoyed the books. A couple of times a year I go to high schools or jr. highs and talk with kids about reading and writing.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments. I will do my best to actively participate, eventhough time is a scarce commodity for me. I live in the Northwest outside of Portland, Oregon.

[This message has been edited by DB (edited March 17, 2009).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome DB, we're glad to have you! I'm impressed with everything you've been able to accomplish.
Posts: 962 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hi. Good on Ya for all you've done. We don't care how old you are. Besides, it's a virtual world. We here in the treehouse are unbound by the fetters of reality. Our virtual brownies never go straight to your thighs, the virtual sun never burns and being in the best shape of your life is possible without 20 minutes a day three days a week on a virtual bowflex.

We happily welcome all the time you can invest here. I look forward to your posts as well as your critques (if I ever manage to write soemthing worth exposing to the light of day. Do we have a virtual best sellers list in the treehouse?)

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLBailey
Member # 8499

- posted      Profile for TLBailey   Email TLBailey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome DB, and you are not the only one here with grand kids. Which is truely amazing becuse my virtual self is only just approaching his 21st.

TL

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherpa7
Member # 8321

- posted      Profile for Sherpa7   Email Sherpa7         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack from a fellow geezer.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DB
Member # 8483

- posted      Profile for DB   Email DB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all. I look forward to exploring the treehouse.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, I'm late, again. You see, in the real world my husband and I have been shopping for another pickup truck to replace the one he lost in an unfortunate auto accident. So, between my job in the real world, hunting for a truck, and trying to get revisions done on my novella, I haven't had much time to greet new members.

So now, I'm here and ready to show you anything that might be of interest to you in our magical treehouse. Did you find your suite upstairs okay? I hope you've been enjoying the magical fridge in the kitchen. I had the best lobster tail dinner out of it just last night. It was great. Maybe you took a swim in the swimming pool in the space station? It's quite a treat to swim under the grandeur of the stars. Come on, and we'll relax out on the deck. I could use it after all I've been through lately. Just let me grab a cold one out of the fridge and something for yourself, too .

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DB
Member # 8483

Thank you. It's a pleasure to be here. The deck sounds good, but there is a little gremlin in the closet of my suite that is pointing toward the keyboard. All he chants day and night is "Dragon Kiln, Dragon Kiln, Dragon Kiln." I think I have to finish before June, or he will explode all over the suite. I always hate to clean up virtual gremlin. It's such a . . . Thanks. I'll meet you on the deck.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a pleasure to have an accomplished writer and interesting persona.
Posts: 1860 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.