Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Belated Introduction

Author Topic: Belated Introduction
Suzanne Warr
Member # 8762

- posted      Profile for Suzanne Warr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I joined last August, after finishing Bootcamp, but couldn't get my registration to work and drifted off. Now I'm back, and hoping to take part on the forums.

I'm a fantasy writer, mostly YA and MG at this point. I've published a few things online and in anthos, all SF and F, but that was more for grownups. Apparently I'm getting younger the longer I write, so expect to see me writing board books soon. >grn<

I'm also into martial arts, and have a black belt. Currently studying European martial arts, which means long swords et al, and is a ton of fun. I love history, renn faires, reading, outdoor sports.

Good to see you all!

Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
Member # 8922

- posted      Profile for dougsguitar   Email dougsguitar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suzanne, Glad to have you around. Come on in to play in the treehouse!
Posts: 123 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Glad you finally made it :-)
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanne Warr
Member # 8762

- posted      Profile for Suzanne Warr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, thanks! And good to see you too, Kitti.

Doug, I noticed your profile lists you as a musician. My son plays the trombone in his middle school band, and my husband plays the piano. What intrument do you play/teach? Have you ever written a story with a musician pov? Just curious. I think it's got lots of fascinating possiblities.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
Member # 8922

- posted      Profile for dougsguitar   Email dougsguitar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suzanne, my primary instrument is the guitar, 'bout 40 years worth. I love to sing, especially when multiple harmonies are happening and I've written about a hundred songs. I played French Horn all the way through school but had to let it go when I graduated. So far I've been able to make decent sounding music on every stringed instrument I've picked up, but not to the performance level. My best friend is an awesome keyboardist and graduated from UNT College of Music Jazz Dept on the trombone.

I have every intention of writing an MC musician type. In fact, the WotF story I'm working on is packed with acoustic physics as one of the main themes.

Thank you for asking. Peace... Doug

Posts: 123 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanne Warr
Member # 8762

Guitar, guitar...where did I see a clue about that? Oh, in your login name! ::rolls eyes:: Guess I should have seen that.

Your WOTF story sounds cool--do you plan to post it for crtitiques/feedback when it's ready? I'd be interested in taking a look at it. I made it to the semifinalist level before I switched my focus to novels, and still sometimes miss the rush of entering. I wish you the best of luck!

dougsguitar
Member # 8922

You would be welcome to take a look at the WotF story. This morning I wrote about 1200 words and plan to finish it by suppertime! At least the first draft.
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Suzanne. You have lots of interesting hobbies. It should be fun to pick your brain on some topics. Glad to have you.
Posts: 1026 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanne Warr
Member # 8762

Thanks, MAP! Feel free to brain pick any time you like. Just use a clean fork, please.

Doug, let me know when it's ready. Are you aiming at the quarter ending in March?

dougsguitar
Member # 8922

Suzanne, I am working on 2nd Quarter 2010 wotf. I finished this morning at 11,000 words. I have a few rough spots to work on but would send it whenever you are ready. I anticipate a fair amount of work still to go for me. This will be the first real SS crit ever for me, so bring a sharp hatchet and a sense of humor... (the story is not humorous). I'm not sure what the actual procedure is for getting it to you. Do I just lift your email address from the profile?

(nervously drums fingers on table then hits the submit reply button)

Oops... no email address on profile... you are welcome to email me and I will reply... I greatly appreciate this.

[This message has been edited by dougsguitar (edited January 11, 2010).]

Suzanne Warr
Member # 8762

Sorry, I try to keep my writing email address clean from spambots so it's not public, but I've sent you off an email, and I'm looking forward to seeing the story!

I'm just coming off from a novel critique/first chapters contest, so it may take me a little longer to get it done than usual. I have to balance out the critiqueing and the writing to make sure the writing part happens. I'm guessing I can have it done by the end of the month, though. Will that work?

PS What's a 'SS critique'? Or am I just extra tired this morning and being dense?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short Story critique?
Posts: 7821 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanne Warr
Member # 8762

And here I thought it might be 'swimming squirrels' critique, or perhaps, 'swingin sloths' critique!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.