Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » The long overdue plunge

Author Topic: The long overdue plunge
Sierra
Member # 9547

- posted      Profile for Sierra           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a child, when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I answered without hesitation: "An author." From my early childhood years through high school, I dabbled in poetry, short stories, journaling, and random ramblings that went a whole lot of nowhere. Then the college years came and with them, my writing-for-pleasure took a back seat to make room for term papers, my thesis project, and my work as an English tutor.

Fast forward six or so years. I'm 28, married, settled into my first house, working full time, and ready to take the long overdue plunge back into writing. My goal is to write a book, just to say I did. Getting published would be an added bonus, but it's not necessarily the end goal.

Recently, I heard about this forum and decided to see what it was all about. What I found was what appears to be a wonderfully supportive, motivating, and talented group of writers. I was hesitant to register at first because, from what I've seen throughout the various threads, the group is largely comprised of science fiction / fantasy writers. (Admittedly, I neither read nor write sci-fi / fantasy; my interest is primarily fiction.) But after a brief email exchange with Kathleen, I decided to jump in feet first and say hello.

So...hi!

Since I can't seem to find the "reply" button, I guess I'll just edit my initial post in response. Sadly, I do not have pointed ears. Though, I've got a toon on WoW that does if that counts for anything. Great...LD has successfully outed my nerd-dom on day 2. Way to cut to the heart of the matter.

Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

Okay, seriously, how do I post responses to threads?

[This message has been edited by Sierra (edited June 26, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by Sierra (edited June 26, 2011).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.

(BTW, speculative fiction is fiction, too. )

Posts: 4405 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Welcome, and this is a good place to learn to write whether if being published or not is the end game but some of us will push you toward that end.

But we are all friendly and some of us knowledgeable about writing. The practice sessions can be fun too.

But do be careful as you wonder around the Treehouse learning new things. Don't ever forget if you see the unicorn... she can be mean.

And By The Way are your ears pointed?

Posts: 5240 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CreganTur
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for CreganTur           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. I'm new here too, so I don't have any words of wisdom or anything. Looking forward to seeing what you're bringing.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Sierra, I asked about the pointed ears because the Main Character in one of my novels that is being critiqued is named Sierra. She does have pointed ears.

She's half fey don't you know. A radio DJ on a very unique station and now is a hero. I should say she is learning to be a Hero. She's about your age too.

And in case you haven't found it yet the reply button is at the bottom of the page, just under the last note on the left. There's another one up top on the right side.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited June 26, 2011).]

Posts: 5240 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sierra
Member # 9547

Doh! If the reply button were any more obvious.... I promise I'm usually more observant than this. I'll blame it on the fact that I had just woken up...?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Too bad you can't blame your husband,

But back to my MC with your name.

A week or three after writing a different story, I saw the MC of that story as I was driving to work.

Sort of, kinda of that is.

Sierra
Member # 9547

Okay, I've GOT to ask...pointed ears and all?

I quite enjoyed growing up as the only "Sierra" in my town. Though, the name is becoming more popular with little girls. Still, I know of only one other "Sierra" older than me. That said, it's great name, in my humble opinion. Your story is being critiqued currently? I might just have to hunt it down! In which category should I look?

KathiS
Member # 9542

- posted      Profile for KathiS   Email KathiS         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Sierra!

kls

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, must have forgotten to say, It's a novel. And it is being critiqued. By one of the groups down below on the Group forum. We have five members and doing one chapter a week... we all crit the same chapter at the same time. Excerpt for the person whose chapter it is.

WakefieldMahon
Member # 9555

- posted      Profile for WakefieldMahon   Email WakefieldMahon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but how many Wakefields have you known? Welcome Sierra, I'm new as well but I'll pretend I have standing to offer an olive branch because I'm just presumptuous like that.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sierra
Member # 9547

I've never met a Wakefield! And I'll accept that olive branch, thanks.
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Sierra, to the Hatrack Treehouse!

Wakefield,
Did you swipe that branch from the olive grove out back? I sure hope you remembered to ask permission from the resident Dryads. They are quite beautiful, but take offense easily. And this being a treehouse and all, itís best to stay on their good side.

Posts: 447 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakefieldMahon
Member # 9555

- posted      Profile for WakefieldMahon   Email WakefieldMahon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Josephine Those were dryads? I thought a group of Wiccans were performing a skyclad ritual. Maybe I can graft it back on? Gosh it's dangerous around the Treehouse, I need a mage or something!
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Wait 'till you run into a group of armored space marines.

But I just happened to know a young woman who has some protection against spells. She's kinda tall and has pointed ears she likes to hide.

But you should have known better, dryads are usually are taller, skinner then huamns and have hair that grows together.

WakefieldMahon
Member # 9555

@LDWriter2 I really should know better, but unfortunately, I come from the Western Woods and as you know, dryads are rather rare there. Wood nymphs and sprites, sure but not many dryads. Ah well, live and learn. I'm off to to explore some more and see what more trouble I can get in to.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

They are rare everywhere... except here. I wonder they take care of the moot.. Hey I didn't even know we had one. So be extra careful.

And hope you have a good time learning here

MDBHarlan
Member # 9557

- posted      Profile for MDBHarlan   Email MDBHarlan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Sierra. Your name is beautiful. I grew up by the Sierra Nevada Mountains and have always loved the name.
I am new too and thinking that being part of this group may expand my imagination a bit. It sounds like everyone's role playing games experience is coming through.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Dryads are tree guardians. They don't have anything to do with moats. Besides, I don't recall a moat. We have a koi pond/lake, but why would a treehouse need a moat?

Edited to add: Just noticed that you said "moot" (as in Entmoot?) I think the Ents take care of their own moots--no need for dryads for that.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 18, 2011).]

Posts: 8541 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, I guess it's moot about the moat.

But if the treehouse was related to Xanth there could be a moot around the treehouse.

But someone-not here- did make some comment about dropping something in the Treehouse moat.

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Itís an emergency-underground-hidden type of moot moat. See it works like thisÖ there is a series of underground pipes (much like a sprinkler system has) that are typically dry unless needed. If we are ever attacked the valve is opened and the pipe that connects the undersea room to the moat is flooded turning the ground around the treehouse into an instant quagmire that will bog down all chariot wheels rendering any attack moot.

I had it installed when we were working on the landscaping, but Iíve never tried it out. Anybody want to test the system?

Posts: 447 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.