Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Shadows and Daydreams

Author Topic: Shadows and Daydreams
CherokeeSam
Member # 9583

- posted      Profile for CherokeeSam   Email CherokeeSam         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

I wanted to think of a clever way to introduce myself- but my two year old is running around in his underwear screaming and making gorilla calls, which made thinking extremely difficult. So, I thought I would go with the normal approach. Something like, "Hi, I'm Sam, and I like to write," but that sounded too much like an anger management meeting.
Simply put, I have been "writing" since I was a young boy. It started with amazing fantasy epics of thirty pages or so. Stuff that would make awesome summer blockbuster movies, or amazing cartoons to spice up my Saturday mornings. Then I grew up- or at least I got older- and realized that while my stories were semi-cute, they were way too embarrassing to call them serious attempts at creating something worth reading.
A few years ago I earnestly began to "develop my craft". I read a lot and worked through several novel ideas. Some grew into full manuscripts while others didn't. I have completed a couple decent stories, and am struggling to break through the barrier that separates the hobbyist from actual authors. Which is what brought me here. I am working on a new manuscript that I need some fresh feedback on. I still mainly write in the fantasy genre, but I have developed enough skill to at least make them more interesting than, "See Zander. See Zander's sword. See Zander slay the beast."
Anyhow... I am looking forward to sharing some of my work and hopefully getting some good feedback. Just one request, be a little gentle with the feedback. I like to think I have developed a thick enough skin to take brutal honesty, but I'm still a little green and tender. You can still be honest- just not brutal.

Have a great day!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sam!

My seven year old thinks she's a horse and has taught my one year old how to bugle like a mustang. I feel your pain!

Very glad to have you. I'm a newbie as well but the skin is toughening up pretty quickly. Everyone I've met so far has been great. Don't worry. Jump right in. The water's fine.

Welcome!
Anna

Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4218 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the father of three boys, I feel your pain as well.

Welcome.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathiS
Member # 9542

- posted      Profile for KathiS   Email KathiS         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Sam. Your intro was very clever and quite humorous. Just what I needed to start my Monday morning. (Which actually began at 4:30 a.m. with my old dog throwing her breakfast up on my shoes as I was heading out for the day job.)

Enjoy the Treehouse!

kls

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to you too.

You can get your manuscript all ready to go with what you learn around here.

However watch those Zander comments. He serves great smoothies at his coffee chain.

And do watch for a female unicorn that likes to wonder the treehouse looking for people she can be mean to.

Posts: 5098 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.