Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » A quick hello

Author Topic: A quick hello
Stevie J Penfold
Member # 9589

- posted      Profile for Stevie J Penfold           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm Steve and I'm a science fictional addict.

I grew up reading Arthur C Clarke, Ben Bova, Greg Bear, Kim Stanley Robinson (the list is long and mighty). The stories those guys came up with left me dreaming about the limitless possibilities of the universe. This is probably why I ended up studying science, specifically geology.

I'm lucky to have a job as a geologist that lets me travel to many of the most remote and beautiful parts of the world (in fact I'm heading off to the Canadian Arctic today, so I won't be very active on here for a few weeks). The near alien landscapes I've worked in have had a big impact on the way I see the world, and undoubtedly influence my writing.

I have been writing short stories ever since I was a child. Finally I feel confident to see if anyone (outside my immediate family) thinks they're any good. This seems like just the sort of place to bounce around ideas and maybe get some polite but critical feedback. I look forward to meeting you all around the forums!

Cheers
Steve

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crane
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Crane   Email Crane         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Steve, Welcome!

I'm new here too. I'm also a field geologist, small world!

Kim Stanley Robinson is totally rad. He rocks my little red-green-blue planet. My adviser in college is a friend of his, but I never did get her to introduce us.

Don't forget your tuque, ok?

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4210 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathiS
Member # 9542

- posted      Profile for KathiS   Email KathiS         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome and have a safe trip.

kls

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Indeed welcome. This here is a nice place to learn.

However as you are digging around the treehouse, remember it's wood not rock.
even if some parts look like it's rock.

But while your studying things keep one eye open especially if a unicorn comes by. She can be mean.

Posts: 5093 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDBHarlan
Member # 9557

- posted      Profile for MDBHarlan   Email MDBHarlan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow! neat job. Welcome.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.