Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Welcome to my world

Author Topic: Welcome to my world
SBPelo2011
Member # 9608

- posted      Profile for SBPelo2011   Email SBPelo2011         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Sarah and I've always wondered what it would like to step into the worlds of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Jane Austen, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and many more. To be a princess in a fairy tale or the heroine in one of my favorite stories. Just for one moment to glimpse the impossible before I settle back into the life of the mundane.

Then my two year old teaches me something new about her personality, my six month old gives me the most brilliant of smiles, and my knight in - slightly dented, a little battered, but still shining - armor asks me once again to fall in love with him. And I cannot help but think that my own world is pretty darn magical too.

The writing thing is not new with me. I have been writing ever since I discovered the alphabet and could manipulate a conglomeration of letters into meaningful - or not so meaningful - phrases.

The seeking of publication is definitely a goal I have striven to reach for as long as I can remember. Until now, my fears of failure and the thought that I have nothing worthy to contribute have kept me from that destiny.

But I have grown in the years since I first picked up a pen and put it to blank paper. And I come to the realization that there is nothing in life holding me back from my dreams except myself.

So in the last five years (ironically corresponding with my marriage to an amazing and inspiring man), I have been actively working toward a previously imagined impossible dream.

As of right now, my first novella is on sale both on Amazon.com and the createspace website where I self-published it. The title is Through the Veil and is the work of three intense days spent at my parent's home - so they could watch the kids and I could write.

Since then, I have also taken up freelance work on the side in order that any expenses incurred during the writing process would not destroy my family's well-armed budget.

Though my novella was under the Spiritual/Family/Loss genres, I have been delving into the world of fantasy in an attempt to tackle fairy tales my own way. A large scale Trilogy is in the initial planning/plotting/jotting phase and it's all in my head - literally.

I will unabashedly state that I DO hear voices - the voices of characters just dying to be written. They come to me in dreams, in the magical worlds that my daughter creates, and in my own greatly revitalized imagination.

And now I will end this lengthy introduction. Hope to see you all around.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.

And be sure to check out the Novel Support Group (NSG) in Hatrack Groups.

Posts: 4406 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait to read your work! Welcome!
Anna

Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDBHarlan
Member # 9557

- posted      Profile for MDBHarlan   Email MDBHarlan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome. I too am trying to balance family life and writing. Right now my 3 yr. old is climbing into my lap. Good luck to you. hope to read your stuff soon
Posts: 55 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

As has been stated you aren't the only one here to work with young children. My daughter is older but there are quite a few here that have small ones.

And this is a good place to learn and to help others to learn.

However as you explore the treehouse be careful there was a white dragon with wicked eyes but he hasn't been seen for a while, the same with a griffin who has ordinary eyes. But be careful around the unicorn, she can be mean.

Posts: 5240 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mythique890
Member # 8586

- posted      Profile for mythique890   Email mythique890         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! I haven't been to this thread in a while, but I'm glad I checked it out. We seem to have a lot in common. My girls are 3 and a half and 1, and my writing also seems, strangely enough, to correspond with how long I've been married.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarinaLee
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for MarinaLee   Email MarinaLee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love your intro It's so sweet! It made me smile. Is your book available for Kindle?
Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.