Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » What's Up w/Uley Bone

Author Topic: What's Up w/Uley Bone
Uley Bone
Member # 9696

- posted      Profile for Uley Bone   Email Uley Bone         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so Uley Bone is not my real name.

It is a bit of a play on the old Homer big-fish tale about what had happened on the way back from the Peloponessean War-- which is what I figured is the excuse he told Mrs. Uley, on account of his less than prompt arrival back home from the War. (I am going to suggest Homer took some liberties with the tale himself, as I am fair certain he would not have mentioned the whole Scylla/Island thing to Mama Uley, whom was already probably a little perturbed at his lack of punctuality.) Saying I stopped off for a few after the war with the boys just wouldn't have cut it-- and so, the Water God hates me (which is probably along the likes of the BC Greco-Roman version of traffic was murder); and the whole thing probably got tossed around a bit before Homer caught up to it. One would have to suggest, theoretically, that the story must have worked. At least in Homer's version of events it did, which was prudent that it came out well after the fact; as laying out all of "facts" like that, for all the world to see, might lend toward some skepticism on Mama Uley's part. I'm not saying she bought the tale wholesale, so much as she didn't figure it was worth arguing about...

I'm just saying it has taken me dang near as long to get my writing anywhere near the pass, and have hit pretty close to as many pit-falls. Though I am nowhere near the divine class of epic tragedies, I am still a tad closer than I ever intended to be when I first thunked maybe I could write something that someone else actually might care to read...

And so in closing, which was quite a long lap around toward for all intents and purposes-- my name is Uley Bone. That was my intro, and I am sticking to it.(It also might go some ways toward an explanation if you find me wandering around lost on the board. Ms. Woodbury was kind enough to steer me here first, but it tends to be a tad harder to be somewhere when you are not entirely certain where that might be. Which is something along the lines of fair warning, I suspect, by way of any advice of breaking into writing; as I am still kind of lost along the e'er mishappening road of my own misadventures. On the flip, or flop, of that, if not already entirely obvious, I love to write.)

Happy Thanksgiving, and nice to meet you all.

smiles & waves,
Uley

Posts: 21 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Thanksgiving, Uley.

That was quite an epic introduction. We welcome you but if you have any unresolved issues with the gods, please keep them on your side of the universe.

Posts: 3058 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.Seems like you will fit right in here. We are all misguided word slingers.
Posts: 1758 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took me a while to get here but Welcome....

This here is a fine place to learn about writing and maybe one or two things about life while your at it.

You can flip for writing but it's tough to flop here. Unless you don't try but it looks you have that covered.

However as you wonder around the treehouse be careful if you see a unicorn, she can be mean. And don't try to flip over it or you will flop. Kinda painful with that horn it has.

Posts: 4629 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uley Bone
Member # 9696

- posted      Profile for Uley Bone   Email Uley Bone         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you kindly Snapper. I think I am pretty much in the clear on that end. There was this one muse issue, but that was way back in my wild and reckless youth sort of thing. I mean, how long can a goddess really hold a grudge? [Wink]

Thank you Bent Tree.

I'll keep that in mind LDWriter2, and thanks for the forewarning.

Nice to meet you all, and I hope you all enjoyed your "holidays". (The quotes were actually kind of like a cringe for those that had to work them."

Smiles & waves,
Uley

Posts: 21 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.