Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Greetings and salutations!

Author Topic: Greetings and salutations!
Ben Brooks
Member # 9727

- posted      Profile for Ben Brooks   Email Ben Brooks         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, everyone! My name's Ben, and I've got a problem: a writing addiction!

I'm currently working on my third novel, if you count the high fantasy one I wrote so long ago in college that is doomed to spend an eternity in a dusty file cabinet. My primary genre I suppose could be best classified as "multicultural fiction" since most of it is drawn from my experiences living in Japan. Currently not published, but hoping to change that in the not-so-distant future.

I look forward to meeting other writers and helping each other get better at our craft!

- Ben

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3899 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Ben. Admitting your addiction is the first step... to an advanced stage of the addiction, that is!
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Insanity, enjoy your stay!
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another example of how EVERYBODY but me gets to go to Japan. It's evil.

One of the main characters of some of my stories is an Onmyoji. I'm a huge fan of anime and other Japanese/Asian cinema and mythology. Indeed, my first published story was titled "Kitsune-tsuki" from which you can probably figure out what it was about.

Good to have you. Have some pocky.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Brooks
Member # 9727

- posted      Profile for Ben Brooks   Email Ben Brooks         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! For the record, I lived in Japan straight from 2004 through 2006, but I visit quite often as my wife is Japanese.

I started out thinking I wanted to be a fantasy author, and last fall I decided to write something more commercial/literary fiction and fell in love with it. So that probably makes me more of an outcast here, but the company is welcome!

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
webs
Member # 9732

- posted      Profile for webs   Email webs         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everyone, my name is webs, and i'm happy to be here. can't wait to get something written and posted.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Howdy there.

As you may know already you are not the only one here with that addiction. I know I can get cranky if I don't write every so often and I find that a good session is one of the most fulfilling things I can do.

As to Japan. Merlion... I've never been there either. But I've noticed that many writers like to use Japanese (For lack of a better word here) fairy creatures. Especially that fox with the five tails. Or is it seven? I should know how many tails, I've read it enough times.

But I think that commercial/literary fiction can still be a form of fantasy.

So keep writing and stay close here.

However as yo wonder around the Treehouse do be careful if you see a unicorn, she can be mean.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I started out thinking I wanted to be a fantasy author, and last fall I decided to write something more commercial/literary fiction and fell in love with it.
I'm not sure what you mean by commercial/literary...fantasy/sci fi/horror is usually more commercially successful than what's refereed to as "literary" fiction. Though on the other hand, there is a very strong trend right now towards "literary" styles in speculative fiction...an entire professional magazine, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, is devoted to "literary adventure fantasy."

I say, do both.

quote:
As to Japan. Merlion... I've never been there either. But I've noticed that many writers like to use Japanese (For lack of a better word here) fairy creatures. Especially that fox with the five tails. Or is it seven? I should know how many tails, I've read it enough times.

Foxes in Japanese folklore/religion/mythology gain more tails as they get older, and more power along with it. The max is nine...a nine-tailed fox is almost unstoppable, with powers comparable to a deity. The fox in my story had five tails and was only narrowly defeated by my two main characters.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.