Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Greetings, Oh Wise Ones

Author Topic: Greetings, Oh Wise Ones
Notumbus Bumbus
Member # 9748

- posted      Profile for Notumbus Bumbus   Email Notumbus Bumbus         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, introduction, eh? It always seems so artificial to do so, but it appears I would be in violation of the local etiquette, so, here we go. I write stories, poems, essays, commentary, professional, technical, and the occasional satire. I've been at this silliness for most of my life, going on forty-five years (since starting to write, that is.) I have self-published some poetry, published on-line, both on my own site,at www.bumpintheroad.net, and on a blog called www.broowaha.com. I have been published in a textbook, in technical journals, and in professional publications. But my real aim is to get my poetry and fiction out to a wider audience, and of course, to keep improving all my writing.

I reside in the greatest city on the planet (IMHO), San Francisco, am married, with two "kids" (furry, and perpetually adolescent,) I paint, make jewelry, sculpt, cook, and make bad puns. I currently have several blogs going, work in a rather odd profession, and enjoy skewering politicians as a hobby.

I am currently working on two novels - one is a science fiction effort, and the other is, well, hard to describe. It centers on a rather unusual dye, called Tyrian purple, and is currently centered on three distinct historical periods, beginning in ancient Tyre, traveling to 13th Century Italy, and finally to the modern era in Mendocino, with a stop in WWII era France as a side journey. While I am having great fun with this particular project, I am having trouble deciding when it's finished!

As for my poetry, I have gone from very dry to ridiculously productive, many times, and am currently in one of those flood-zones. My work seems to shift from the deep psychological/philosophical, to more cosmic wanderings. I find most poetic forms in general usage too confining, and have eschewed the notion of a fixed style as too limiting and far too artificial - my mind is all over the map, so it appears my poetry is, as well.

Well, how did I do? Still working out the whole "Hi, this is me" thing, despite my advancing years. I keep wondering what growing up actually means.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings. Have a lovely heart-shaped Valentine's day themed snack cake.

I think I have heard of Tyrian purple at some point...but that's not really surprising since, as you will learn if you hang around here for any length of time, I have a borderline obsession with color. And baked goods. And roads. Oh and rust.

You should fit right in.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3899 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice repertoar. A fellow history buff, I see. Glad to have you aboard.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed be welcome.

You quite right there are wise ones here, too bad I'm not one of them. But there are those who don't mind sharing what they have learned about writing.

There are others here who have your type of tech writing background so you might feel at him... not to mention a quirky sense of humor.

Hmm, with that last comment though, are you related to Peter... Pan?

And as you wonder our halls, that wrap around the tree, do be careful with the unicorn, she can be mean.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one is required by etiquette, local or otherwise, to post an introduction. It's just nice to get to know people and hear about their experience. (Also, your introduction topic allows you to talk about things unrelated to writing that are in your life, if you like.)

Besides, if writing isn't "artifice," what is it? Consider your introduction good practice.

Posts: 7996 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.