Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Salutations!

Author Topic: Salutations!
Travesty
Member # 9759

- posted      Profile for Travesty   Email Travesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello [Smile]

So... is it taboo to use smiley faces on a forum for aspiring professional writers? Well, in any case, I already used one and it would be way too much effort to move the cursor all the way up there again. And, I figure that as far as breaking social norms go, using a smiley face on a forum is not grounds for banning. Or, if it is, shhh... don't tell the forum modulator. Modulator? Administrator? Okay, so I'm also fairly unfamiliar to the proper terminology of forums. Sorry. Back to the topic of introductions.

Nice to meet everyone! I've been impressed with the positive feedback that I've seen on the handful of posts that I have checked so far. I met a friend of a friend at LTUE (sff conference in Utah just in case that is not common knowledge...) that recommended OSC's forums as a writing community. He recommended it particularly for reviews of intended submissions to Writer's of the Future contests, though I have never pursued that contest previously, so it would seem sort of an odd recommendation. But, still, the community looks promising. Sorry. Back to introductions. (In case it wasn't obvious previous to this, I have a tendency to get side-tracked. Or ramble. Or both. Case in point. Back on topic.)

Hmm... where to start... ahh, now I see the root problem for the rambling. Well, I read a lot. Surprise, surprise. Probably right at home with many people on here. Hurray! Wrote about 5k words back in high school for a writing class, with a comment from the teacher stating that it could be the first chapter of a book with a little polish. In hindsight, I realize two things. First, probably the inner rambler manifesting itself early. Second, teachers are liars (granted, I'm sure she was doing it for my own peace of mind. Telling me the truth would have sent me to a psychiatrist for years). It would have required more than a little polish. In fact, the writing was probably bad enough at the time to induce internal hemorrhaging to anyone who glanced at it. Then they would subsequently succumb to a coma. Okay, moving onward. Took the writing class by Brandon Sanderson at BYU two years ago, and started writing again. The writing was still pretty bad, but only caused minor convulsions in the reader. So, now it brings us to the present, where I am again taking Brandon's class, with the goal of finishing the book that I started in the class two years ago. (Reading what I write only causes a dull throbbing behind the eyes now, in case you were wondering. Maybe some minor indigestion.)

Okay, maybe that's enough for now. Hurray! Thanks for reading, and I hope that I can be of some help to some (in addition to receiving some help... are there any psychiatrists on here? jk. Can I use jk on here? Dang it. Rambling.)

Sincerely,

Travesty (I know. Ironic.)

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3663 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, well welcome there long winded one.

You're not the only one as you see by some of the posts here. [Smile]

And using a smiley is bad on a writer's forum how come no one told me? [Wink]

But I doubt your writing was that bad , you ain't seen what I used to do. Even with all the book learning and practice I've done it's still not past mediocre so it had to be bad back then.

But we have plenty of people who who do know a thing or three about writing and they are happy to share it. So explore, as it sounds like you have been doing, and join in. (We are immune to shakes caused by horrible writing)

However as you do look around be careful with that unicorn, she can be mean.

Posts: 4629 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings. Have a lovely doughnut.

I don't believe in "bad writing" so that's not a worry for me.
I've actually just started following the blog of a person who was also just at LTUE. Sounds like a nice event.

As you avoid the unicorn, also watch your neck for attacks by Steerpike's monkey.

Posts: 2561 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's relatively safe here, as long as you are quick on your feet.

Welcome. I haven't been here long, but if they put up with me, they will put up with anybody. And don't bad mouth your own writing until you see some of what has actually been submitted.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Travesty
Member # 9759

- posted      Profile for Travesty   Email Travesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses. Hopefully my writing isn't really as bad as I made it out to be... habit of mine; I usually make myself the brunt of most of my jokes. (One of the few people that I can make fun of and not have to worry about offending them. At least, I have not yet succeeded in offending myself.)
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
At least, I have not yet succeeded in offending myself.
In that case you need to try harder. [Smile]
Posts: 4629 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.