Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » A Cat Dreaming About Wings

Author Topic: A Cat Dreaming About Wings
angel011
Member # 9765

- posted      Profile for angel011   Email angel011         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, and nice to meet you all.

I'm Angie or angel011, whichever you prefer. I see myself as a writer, a reader, and a dreamer; if you wish to know more, please look here: http://sleepyangelcat.blogspot.com/p/biography.html

(I'm not trying to get you to see my blog, I just don't want to make my first post here too long)

I have a short story collection published (fantasy, horror, and fairy tales retold), another one is on the way (ghost stories). They are in Serbian, my first language, but I wish to write in English too. Links to some of my stories in English (all free to read) are here: http://sleepyangelcat.blogspot.com/p/stories.html

Before I publish more in English, I wish to improve my writing skill, so here I am.

P.S. Since English is not my first language, if I make spelling or grammar mistakes, please kindly point them out to me, so I don't make them again.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He he, lep pozdrav v Srbijo!

Martin from Slovenia here, brushing up on my English as well. Been here a while so I know you came to the right place.

And don't worry about spelling. With English as our secondary language, I think we make less mistakes then the native writers.

Posts: 1266 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

- posted      Profile for angel011   Email angel011         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He he, pozdrav i Sloveniji!

Thank you, Martin. It's really nice to meet you.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3680 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

Thanks!
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings. Have a lovely slice of cheesecake.

We have a number of folks from your neck of the woods around here. I myself have a great fondness for you Slavic types. As Martin has said I find that in some ways and some cases, some secondary-English speakers can actually be easier to understand than some who (supposedly) have English as their first language.

Do you plan on submitting stuff to magazines etc as well, or are you going self-publishing all the way?

Posts: 2603 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

I plan to submit to magazines, websites etc, actually, I do it from time to time (so far only one story sold, and that was a while ago). Self-publishing is more of an experiment, since that's something I haven't tried before, so I'm curious about it.

Thanks for the cheesecake!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, well, welcome to the treehouse.

So far you're doing pretty good at english. Some of us born to it tend to get lazy and/or forget some of the rules.

But this is a good place to learn enough to become confident to submit your stories.

And we have one thing in common, besides writing, I had one story published a while ago too. More like quite a while ago.

Posts: 4661 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dobrodosla!

Finally I am not the only Serbian guy around here!

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's not a guy, Foste, so you're still the only one. [Wink]
Posts: 1266 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

LDWriter2, I sold one story more than 10 years ago (yikes, has it been that long?), how about you?

Foste, hvala! Martin is right, though, I'm not a guy, even though folks mistake me for a boy more often than not. [Smile]

Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant guy as person and... ah, screw it.

Um, welcome! [Smile]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

Thanks!
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's really Japanese deep down anyway.
Posts: 2603 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

And I'm really a cat deep down anyway, so... Err... Meow? [Smile]
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all: That was a kinda weak meow, you need something more definite.

Second of all: I sold mine around six years ago. To a pro market. But then I forgot how to write-- more on that on my blog. In case your interested.

Third of all: I knew you were a girl.

Fourth of all: I think there is at least one other cat girl here so you're not alone.

Hmm, that could make an interesting story or novel. And I mean cat not lion. Well, there already are a couple along those lines but it could still work.

Posts: 4661 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

It was supposed to be a weak meow, I wasn't sure how people here would react to a typing cat. [Big Grin]
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

- posted      Profile for Shaygirl   Email Shaygirl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be surprised if there weren't cats who typed.
A typing platypus on the other hand... [Big Grin]

Though I have no animal affiliation, I do have a fondness for cats. To me it seems a basic necessity, cats are just...Soothing? Aggravating? Condescending? Cat should really be its own adjective.

Welcome Angel!

P.S If you find the music room, I'll be playing my alto so don't be afriad to pop in. (I'm holding out for a Steinway baby grand, but they haven't gotten the order through yet...)

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

I hope they get that Steinway soon, I grew up with piano music (when my mother played) and cats, so listening to a piano would be nice.

Thanks for the welcome!

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This treehouse has everything you could ever want, including Steinway baby grands. You just need to go around that corner there.

And the typing cats are up a floor.

Since this is a virtual treehouse, if you can imagine it, and if it is appropriate for a family forum, you should be able to find it.

Please visit the Hatrack Treenhouse Adventures topic to read more about our amazing virtual treehouse.

Posts: 7822 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, there is a zero-gravity area where cats can fly (if they can let go of the "land on the feet" reaction and accompanying contortions--some cats who try it get pretty disoriented).
Posts: 7822 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

Zero gravity makes me dizzy...

So, if the typing cats are up a floor, is my room there too? [Smile]

MartinV
Member # 5512

quote:
Originally posted by angel011:
Zero gravity makes me dizzy...

Just remember: the enemy gate is down. [Wink]
angel011
Member # 9765

Copy that.

*sharpens claws*

Just say when. [Big Grin]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
Originally posted by angel011:
So, if the typing cats are up a floor, is my room there too? [Smile]

Absolutely. You just have to think about it as you go up the stairs, or take the elevator, or the anti-gravity tube, and you'll arrive in front of your door.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

What no ruby slippers?

But if you do find any don't wish for Home... wish for your room here.

angel011
Member # 9765

Wouldn't a cat have a problem using ruby slippers anyway?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Uh, how is a cat going to use an elevator than. Those buttons are kinda high up.
angel011
Member # 9765

Do you know how high a cat can jump? [Big Grin]

Ever seen a cat jump on a doorknob to open the door?

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, little sister, Lady Tiger here [Wink]

Welcome to the Treehouse!

Cats of all shapes and sizes are dear to me, and welcome here at Hatrack. There’s even a griffin lurking about here somewhere, so be careful, he would snap you up in one bite! Fortunately the unicorn that LDWriter2 keeps picking on seems to like felines and has been looking out for me.

Do check out The Hatrack Treehouse Adventures they are a lot of fun, and there are links to even earlier adventures that had me laughing so hard that my sides hurt when I first arrived here.

See you in F&F, Angel, good luck with climbing all the curtains you can dream of…

-Lady Tiger

Posts: 405 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

Yay, a big cousin!

Thanks for the welcome!

*starts looking for curtains to climb*

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.