Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hi, for the record....

Author Topic: Hi, for the record....
Hop Henry
Member # 9786

- posted      Profile for Hop Henry   Email Hop Henry         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm new and lost and way too far from shore. I used to be a strong swimmer, though, so I expect I'll figure this place out eventually. I don't climb trees too well, though--not scared of heights, just clumsy and bad spatial-relationship skills. (Mixed metaphors allowed in conversation?)

Who am I. Beats me, sometimes. Over-educated, unemployed, "Wednesday's child, over sixty, still traveling." I spent my childhood in CA (north and south) and ended up in the DC area about 25 years ago, via IN, IL, TX, Japan, and Germany--not quite in that order. I've earned a BS/Acctg, MBA/IT, and MS/Acctg; I had careers in accounting (CPA, CMA) and IT management (with way too many cert.s to list). I fell off the career track in 2001 and haven't found it again. I think I really don't want to, but I'm going to run out of money before I can get full SSN retirement.

Which is what brings me here. If I don't want to get stuck doing what I hate, I better get good at what I love, at least good enough to entice others to spend their time and money in my world.

I've been writing since middle school, but haven't attempted publishing--nothing's been good enough to consider. However, I started something 10-15 years ago that seems promising. I've even finished 3 books--7, if I count the alternative POVs and back stories--and half a dozen shorter stories. The work is a kind of spiritual epic fantasy whose MCs decided to become romantically involved. As if they didn't have enough to do saving the world and the gods.

Currently, I live in a friend's house and keep an eye on her mother, take care of three cats and two dogs, mentor a disadvantaged 8th grader, drive elderly friends to doctors, restaurants, and drug stores, and buying weekly groceries for three households. Among other eclectic tasks. What family I have is distant; what friends I have are my true wealth.

... I suspect this is a poor introduction, but if I try to improve it, I won't post anything for another month. So have at me, all. I can take a beating, as long as it's polite. [Wink]

Thanks, Hop

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.

Don't worry. I'm sure I remember that the treehouse has an elevator. And with all that's inside, you'd hardly know your in a treehouse unless you go out on the deck. [Wink]

Posts: 3935 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Hop! (I just thought of Ihop. Pancakes. Yum.) Anyway, welcome aboard. I think you'll find that Hatrackers are a friendly bunch, except for that Snapper.
Posts: 105 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zippo44
Member # 9782

- posted      Profile for Zippo44   Email Zippo44         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd, I never thought of pancakes. The first thought in my mind was of a foamy glass of doppelbock.
Welcome! I'm new here too and I look forward to reading your spritual epic fantasy.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hop! Welcome! Don't worry... the water's just fine. Jump on in. [Smile]
Anna

Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

- posted      Profile for angel011   Email angel011         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Hop! Have fun here, and watch out for the unicorn, folks say that she can be pretty mean.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't malign the unicorn unless you have had personal experience of her meanness. We really don't want to spread unkind rumors, just because someone else said something. (Only one "folk" asserts that she's mean, so far as I have seen.)
Posts: 8027 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

- posted      Profile for angel011   Email angel011         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She did me no harm, she seems to like felines. She does seem a bit nervous, though, so I'm not sure how she'd respond to someone new... Has something happened to her lately?
Posts: 62 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And howdy there. Boy with your experiences you should have a ton of real life situations and experiences to draw from. In either case this is a good place to learn about the craft of writing and have some fellowship around that.

Seems like half the people here are your age or so and the other half are very young, few in-between.

quote:
(Only one "folk" asserts that she's mean, so far as I have seen.)
(Clears throat)

I wonder who that could be.

Posts: 4891 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hop Henry
Member # 9786

- posted      Profile for Hop Henry   Email Hop Henry         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, all. I expect I'll be fine, once I get accustomed to you all.... I promise to respect the unicorn.

Anna-- The last time someone told me the water was fine, it was my brand new boss, who also said he liked to throw his people into deep water. Two days bossing my first audit, I suggested to him that deep water's fine, but quick sand is a dirty trick!

wirelesslibrarian, Zippo44-- IHOP and doppelbock: now there's a combination only a German could love! I never did get the hang of beer with sweets. (Beer with brats, however....)

LDWriter2-- I wonder if the betweeners are too busy chasing a lucrative career.... as I tried for 20 years. Maybe the youngsters have the fire and the oldsters have the freedom.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anarresti
Member # 9614

- posted      Profile for anarresti   Email anarresti         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Henry, to the fabulous Hatrack Treehouse, please feel free to explore and wander. The treehouse is a friendly sort of place, where the sweets have no calories, but the stories can satisfy like nothing else. Take all advice with a pinch of salt, and give all opinions with just a dash of sugar. [Wink]

Welcome,

-Lady Tiger

Posts: 405 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings. Have some lovely strawberry marshmallow fluff.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.