Hatrack River
Home | About Orson Scott Card | News & Reviews | OSC Library | Forums | Contact | Links
Research Area | Writing Lessons | Writers Workshops | OSC at SVU | Calendar | Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Another new face

Author Topic: Another new face
Notwald
Member # 9831

- posted      Profile for Notwald   Email Notwald         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

How intimidating: write a self-introduction to a bunch of writers...

A bit about me: Professionally, I am a diplomat, part of the US Foreign Service. I write everyday for work, but stuff nobody would ever want to read. (Notice how the alleged diplomatic cables on Wikileaks shot to the top of the best seller list?)

I started trying to write fiction a few years ago, when we were posted in Mongolia. I needed something to engage my brain during the long cold winters. I began writing a novel and finished a draft a couple of years later; by then were in Cuba. Unfortunately, it is a terrible mess (both the novel and Cuba).

Now we are in South Africa and I have turned to short stories, trying to develop some skills before turning back to the novel. I'm hoping this workshop will help.

When we are not wandering around, we have a house in beautiful Buena Vista, VA.

Nice to meet you all!

Dale

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3662 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great place to hone those skills. [Smile]

With all your travels, I bet you got some great stories in you.

As Meredith said, welcome.

Posts: 1018 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed welcome.

You have come to the right place to learn to clean up your messes. [Smile]

Novels that is Cuba, well that's a different animal. But we may be able to advise you on that too. [Smile]

Well, we all have opinions except politics is a no no here.

But seriously we are a bunch of friendly writers who don't mind sharing what we know. From experience some of us know more than others. So as I think you have done already join in.

But you said "we" ?

Oh as you explore the treehouse watch out for the unicorn..she can be mean at times.

Posts: 4629 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Notwald
Member # 9831

- posted      Profile for Notwald   Email Notwald         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the welcomes (and the Unicorn warnings).

I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.