Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Arriving spaceman?

Author Topic: Arriving spaceman?
Nalix
Member # 9850

- posted      Profile for Nalix   Email Nalix         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, I'm a 27 year old white male living in Ecuador and looking for a girlfriend.

But this probably isn't the site for that.

I'm here looking for whatever there is to be found, writing wise. I'm looking for friends, suggestions, inspiration, and whatever else catches my attention. I'm easily distracted, yet somehow manage to get things done despite this trait.

I also like computer games in small doses, and other forms of storytelling. I'm going to grad school while living with my parents in Ecuador, though I am a US native.

I write a wide variety of things, but decided that I don't care about publishing until I've finished a lot more. I also create my own cover art, poetry, short stories, novels, well developed universe, not so much for my characters.

My writing is almost entirely devoted to a sci-fi universe that I've been developing for the last 12 years (though I am currently working on a novel that *might* not take place in that universe). I have two novels with finished drafts in various phases of editing, two unfinished novels, and numerous short stories, some of which are published as ebooks on Amazon because no one told me I couldn't do that.

More than anything else, I'm looking for a writing group. I feel like having someone expecting to receive my writing would help motivate me to write more. I also enjoy exploring other people's worlds.

Not sure what else to say here. Your turn, ask away.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3899 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You and me both, Nalix. (The girlfriend part I mean. But there's a secret here: looking for one is not the same as wanting to find one. Most 'lookers' have too high standards so they never stop looking. Want to find one has a more determined feel to it.)

From what I see here, you are quite productive, which means you probably have the basics covered, otherwise you wouldn't have finished stories (believe me, I know!) I think all those novels in a drawer might be a bit unhealthy. If you're not confident enough about them to try sending them to editors, you might e-publish them as you did with the short stories. You can also post them up here and fish for some beta readers.

In either case, glad to have you aboard. Step to the console and program yourself a martini.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nalix
Member # 9850

- posted      Profile for Nalix   Email Nalix         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the funny thing about the novels is that nearly every time I finish a revision, I get enough better at writing that I feel like I should make things better again before trying to publish.

And as far as looking for a girlfriend goes, my prospects are actually quite good. What I'm looking for here is my own writing group - people with complementary interests and skills who can share our work back and forth.

Maybe I'll post one of my sour short stories here and see if I can get feedback on how to improve it.

[ June 05, 2012, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Nalix ]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.

As writers go over all you wouldn't be the only one to write in a certain universe. I discovered a writer a few years ago that did that. He seemed to have written a ton of novels none of which had the same characters but they were all in the same universe. Saved time trying to think of new space drives and weapon systems for each new universe I would think [Smile]

Anyway this is a good place to learn about writing but the Treehouse is also a place to be careful, There's a unicorn who likes to wonder around and she can be mean at times.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nalix
Member # 9850

Yeah, that definitely describes my short stories - all take place on Earth after the alien "invasion" flops. Every story is about totally different characters, though some of them are loosely connected. I am thinking of expanding some of them.

I'm not really sure how to classify the genre though, it has post-apocalyptic elements, but doesn't really fit that sub-genre. Too cozy.

Still, my current challenge is coming up with interesting characters. I'm hoping that one from these short stories will rise above the rest as a long term protagonist.

TimP
Member # 9861

- posted      Profile for TimP   Email TimP         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there. Welcome aboard.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.