Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Klaatu Barada Nikto

Author Topic: Klaatu Barada Nikto
variable_1960
Member # 9837

- posted      Profile for variable_1960   Email variable_1960         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings all. I am very happy and honored to join the group! I have been a failed writer for quite some time -- that is, I have always wanted to try my hand at writing, but have failed to do so. I have written a few things here and there, but nothing for publication, just for my own amusement.

I decided a while back to fish rather than cut bait, although my progress has been slow. I am now working on a number of stories, some more well formed than others. My greatest strength is a very active imagination and creative streak.

I love science fiction -- both written and cinematic -- and would like to be published eventually. We'll see about that.

I have been keeping a blog, although I am a rather infrequent poster. Regardless, it should give you a sense of where I am coming from if you're interested. It's at: decayingorbits.wordpress.com

I spend most of my time working in Washington, D.C. (in the big 5-sided building on the shores of the Potomac) or commuting there and back from my home in Fredericksburg, Virginia. This, of course, is my central challenge: finding time to write. Any suggestions in that regard would be most appreciated.

Here are a few more anecdotes about me: I can fly a helicopter, I've kissed the Pope's ring, shaken the President's hand in the Oval Office, saw Led Zeppelin in concert, attended the World Cup, and worked on a turkey ranch. I also have multiple Master's degrees, and can play the guitar. I love German beer, jazz and soccer. And science fiction.

I really love science fiction.

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3663 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. My advice on finding time. If you have a long drive, get a digital recorder. If you commute via rail or simialr don't, because it will look like you lost your mind.
Posts: 1130 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, Tiergan with blue tooth cell phones there are too many people who look that way already, variable will just another of the lost mind crowd.

And varriable_1960 welcome. This is a fun place and a learning place. And don't worry about looking like you have lost your mind...At least half of us look that way anyway. [Smile]

But seriously some of us know a thing or three about writing and don't mind sharing. However as you explore the treehouse watch out if you see a unicorn that looks like who has lost its mind be careful, she can be mean or snarky at times.

Posts: 4629 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
variable_1960
Member # 9837

- posted      Profile for variable_1960   Email variable_1960         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. I am commuting via car, but will shortly take up the train exclusively, although I like to sit in the "quiet car" so no audio recorders for me. But I do agree that it will provide a good hour or so of time to write, and my iPad works great for that!
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the Potomac. I swam across it a few times. Of course I was wearing a hazmat suit because the water was dangerously irradited, with 200 kilos of ammunition on my back. [Razz]
Posts: 1262 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.