Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Writing n00b

Author Topic: Writing n00b
zwicker
Member # 9971

- posted      Profile for zwicker   Email zwicker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have yet to write my first story but I have had the urge to write one based on my unique experiances in life for the last 5 years, a viewpoint I feel that has been left out. Anyway, I have taken a look at one of the writing assignments and love the layout and feel of the boards here.

The formula approach for me seems to make the most sense right now, at least until I develope my own style and preferences. Since I haven't ever had anyone critique my work (or lack there of) I am looking forward to what you all have to say.

I live out in Arizona and am comfortably enjoying the 70-80 degree temps right now. I am not really sure what to expect from my writing (tons of money would be nice) but I am more interested in just getting my ideas out there, even if they dont seem to go anywhere.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3662 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, jump right in, the water's fine. I only started trying to write three years ago. The first lesson I learned is to 'just write' until you find that it's too limiting, and you just can't seem to get it quite right. Once that happens, that's when you are ready to start asking about 'craft' and how to apply it.

Phil.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizluka
Member # 9916

- posted      Profile for lizluka   Email lizluka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, another Arizonian:) Welcome!
Posts: 81 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GhostWriter
Member # 9963

- posted      Profile for GhostWriter   Email GhostWriter         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard!

Yep yep, the best advice I can give you is write, write... and one other... oh yea! write! It helps so much to practice and listen to others critiques of your work!

I myself am a Coloradin, but currently am away in PA. I am turning green with envy about your whether. It is cold enough here to freeze your fingers off... Not healthy for writing.

Anyway, welcome and I hope you enjoy the ride!

Jake.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome

As it sounds like you know already this is a good place to get your ideas from here to there and back again. And nicely put on paper along the way.

However do be careful around any unicorns you see, I must say that one can be mean when she feels like it.

Posts: 4629 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.