Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » HI! I'm Amy

Author Topic: HI! I'm Amy
Awesome Amy
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for Awesome Amy   Email Awesome Amy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI! My name is Amy. I am a military wife and the mother of 7
children. I have always loved reading and writing but I haven't
really been serious about it until the past five years or so. My
primary interests in writing are children's and young adult books.
Although I love reading fantasy and science fiction I'm not sure I have a talent for writing it. Not a single story I've worked on has a drop of magic or creatures or science! Okay, that might not be completely true but I overthink it so much that it just doesn't work.
I have a little trouble staying focused on one thing for long
periods of time and I have a certain amount of anxiety about
submitting my work for publication so who knows how long it might take for me to become a successful writer. In the mean time, I want to continue to learn, practice, and improve.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mayflower988
Member # 9858

- posted      Profile for mayflower988   Email mayflower988         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Amy. Congratulations on getting serious about your writing. I myself didn't really get serious about mine until maybe a couple years ago. I have trouble staying focused as well; I've actually been diagnosed with ADD. It can be a problem, but then again it can be good for writing, because it tends to give you creative ideas! :) I look forward to reading your stories and I hope we can encourage you to take the plunge and submit! I found this the other day and it was really helpful for me. I hope it helps you, too.
http://sfwriter.com/ow05.htm

Posts: 284 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3661 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce King
Member # 10018

- posted      Profile for Bruce King   Email Bruce King         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.

I am also a newbie fiction writer.

I have looked at other online groups, but, so far, I like the way Hatrack operates compared to the other groups.

I look forward to seeing some of your writing and/or your comments on my stuff or other people's work. Maybe in the "first 13" section of the forum.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. My wife's name is Amy, but thank goodness we only have three kids.

Writing like anything worth mastering takes a lot of work. But, there are a lot of resources on here to help you master the various steps in writing well.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Amy, The water's fine, so jump write in. There aren't any sharks and only one grumpy old guy who's pretty harmless. He doesn't even have his own teeth.

Phil.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be welcome Amy.

This is a nice, safe, friendly place where you can learn the craft of writing and how to finish a story. Many writers here have had to overcome that problem. Rather it's ADD, just plain fear, or too many other things to do(You do sound busy) there are ways to deal with it.

We like all types of stories here so that's nay a problem either.

However as you explore the treehouse do be careful if you see a unicorn, she can be Not Nice.

Posts: 4629 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! When did we pass the 10,000 mark?

A jolly welcome to you, Amy.

Posts: 1262 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.