Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » CTR: Compelled To wRite

Author Topic: CTR: Compelled To wRite
legolasgalactica
Member # 10087

- posted      Profile for legolasgalactica   Email legolasgalactica         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone, I'm so excited to have found a group of people I can talk to about writing. I love all sorts of writing: fantasy, sci-fi, children's and YA, mystery, romance, historical fiction, history, philosophy, encyclopedias, etc.

Still attending the "School of Hard Knocks," I've been bouncing around from odd-job to odd-job trying to support my family while attempting to settle my entrepreneurial spirit on something that works for me and replace the endless dead-end jobs. Although I've mostly focused on business and Real Estate, writing is one very serious consideration I've had for many years--albeit I have very little experience with writing and only the basic education found in college general requirements.

I've had several stories bouncing around in my head for years (and have outlines for 20-30 books I'd like to write someday...) but have never been able to sit down and write anything but a few short scenes of one or the other. Recently, a story occurred to me and has kept me up many late nights because I feel driven (or compelled) to get it out there; but while I've made several serious attempts at writing it down, I'm somewhat stumped as to how to approach it. I hope that my interaction here will help me figure out how to move forward with it and finally find some peace of mind when it's done.
Cheers!

[ June 09, 2013, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: legolasgalactica ]

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome thou, methinks ye come to the right place to learn the right thing so ye can do the right for ye which is wRight.

Many people here know a thing or three about writing and don't mind sharing. We are all friendly too. And we know how you feel about the desire-complusion-addiction to writing.And how to help you finish what you start.

And hopefully learn how to earn a few extra bucks for you too.

However as you explore this treehouse do be careful there's this unicorn running around and she can be a bit upset at times.

Posts: 4846 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
Nice mix of fantasy and sci-fi. [Smile]

Axe

Posts: 1467 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3899 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyTharp
Member # 9997

- posted      Profile for KellyTharp   Email KellyTharp         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome galactica --- this is great place, lots of good learning opportunities. As for where to start . . . just start with the first word that comes into your head and keep on typing . . . or writing. When stories demand to get out of my head I just type. One can sort, edit, and outline later. Sometimes it just takes getting a scene written down to give you that bridge to keep going. Have fun! KT
Posts: 96 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake T
Member # 9461

- posted      Profile for Blake T   Email Blake T         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a fellow newbie to this writing thing I can understand the concept of having an idea bouncing around that you don't know how to pull off! I am going through something similar with a story that I have had in my head for a few years now.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!

Blake

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.