Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hi everyone!

Author Topic: Hi everyone!
Pygmalion 79
Member # 10132

- posted      Profile for Pygmalion 79           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to hang out here about 13 years ago, back when I was a cocky college kid, trying to grow a beard for the first time. Girlfriend vetoed my effort because in her words I "looked like the Unabomber." Now I teach the cocky college kids, I'm growing the beard again, I've been married to that girl for more than ten years, and after a long time writing nothing but the expository and argumentative style I am engaged in some narrative writing again, in the form of a philosophical dialogue that I wanted not just to be about ideas, but to have a real narrative arc and interesting characters. Spending long hours staring at my first thirteen lines got me thinking about Hatrack again and so here I am.

-Alex

[ September 09, 2013, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Pygmalion 79 ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back to the treehouse. You were obviously before my time here.
Posts: 4215 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk Hairychest
Member # 10105

- posted      Profile for Dirk Hairychest   Email Dirk Hairychest         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back, Alex. Good luck with the beard!
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legolasgalactica
Member # 10087

- posted      Profile for legolasgalactica   Email legolasgalactica         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you posted your 13? It sounds interesting-- like Plato and Socrates?
Posts: 164 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pygmalion 79
Member # 10132

- posted      Profile for Pygmalion 79           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone.

Meredith, ack, now I feel old...

Dirk, I got complimented on the beard yesterday (Week 2 in the experiment) so things seem to be going better.

Legolasgalactica -- those are two of my favorite things, too -- yes, you're thinking of the right kind of thing, and it's too bad that not very many since Plato have tried to write dialogues that were really worth _reading_. I'm hoping that I can at least approach the literary power of works of art like the Phaedo, the Symposium, the Republic, and the Phraedrus. Just posted by 13 lines under books.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk Hairychest
Member # 10105

- posted      Profile for Dirk Hairychest   Email Dirk Hairychest         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried a moustache years ago. Looking at the old Christmas photo we took that year reminds me one of those awkward family photos. Dirk Hairychest and facial hair sadly don't mix. Your prowess already intimidates me.
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.