Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » New here, and exited to join this community

Author Topic: New here, and exited to join this community
Cyndera
Member # 10258

- posted      Profile for Cyndera   Email Cyndera         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, my name is Aileen, and although I've been following this web site for a while and have been reading OSC for years, I never really had the guts to sign up and join the discussion. Well, I've decided that I will take another look at a short story I've written a while back, so I'd love some feedback and maybe even work up the courage to send it out.

Some background information:
Born and raised in Germany, I earned a master's degree in English Linguistics from the WWU Muenster, moved to the U.S. a fews years ago, and then got a master's in Library & Information Science from the University of South Carolina. Like most people in the DC area, I work for the federal govt (Knowledge Management Analyst at USAID). I love writing, and I published about 20 professional articles in various journals and other publications. I had the pleasure to participate in OSC's Writing Class a few years back, and I hope to maybe apply for an upcoming Literary Bootcamp. Aside from writing, I love singing, cooking, drawing, volunteering at an animal shelter and working with my own animals.

I look forward to reading and learning from all of you.

~Aileen

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Aileen. Hatrack has been a great benefit to me as a writer. I hope it will be to you as well. Happy to have you here. What part of Germany? I lived in the Hamburg area for a couple years, and Germany has a fond place in my heart.

Might I ask how old you are? I only ask because I have a story set in the DDR, and if you're old enough to remember it, I might offer to exchange story critiques with you and get your feedback on my DDR story, if that would be agreeable to you.

Posts: 1222 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyndera
Member # 10258

- posted      Profile for Cyndera   Email Cyndera         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hometown is called Recklinghausen, it's not far from Duesseldorf.

I'd be happy to exchange ideas! I am 34, so I do remember. My dad's parents lived there; my dad was born in 52, so they fled a little prior to the wall being build. I'd love to read your story. Shoot me an email [Smile]

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3899 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! Will do when I'm on my computer. I spent some time around Duesseldorf, as well. Lived in Meschede, but went to Duesseldorf to work several times.
Posts: 1222 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyndera
Member # 10258

Very cool!
I have a friend who lives in Meschede. Small world [Smile]
Looking forward to reading your story.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Cyndera,

Welcome to the river for the rack of hats. Go ahead and post your short story opening fragment in the Fragments and Feedback forum and comment on others posted. The idea of posting and commenting and benefits are developing anaylsis and editing skills for your own work from analysis of and comments about others' works.

Also ask questions and respond to questions or topics in the Open Discussions About Writing forum. If you have insights about writing to share, those are also welcome. Trial and error are how we most learn, so no worries from mistaken, if subjectively valid, misapprehensions. Secondmost we learn from sharing what we learn, thirdmost, well, I guess that's from conventional education.

Posts: 3398 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Cyndera. Jump write in, the water's fine and we don't bite. Well, nothing more than the odd nibble from time to time perhaps.

Phil.

Posts: 581 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm late, but I say be welcomed too.

A good place for a writer to be.

Posts: 4846 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyndera
Member # 10258

Thanks all!
I'll post my fragment over the weekend sometime.

Phil: A nibble is perfectly fine [Big Grin]

~Aileen

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.