Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello everyone

Author Topic: Hello everyone
ThemeWeaver
Member # 10271

- posted      Profile for ThemeWeaver           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,

I have been an avid reader of OSC since 2007. I read Enders Game and was hooked. I bought and read every book in all of the series (I just read Earth Afire). I also like the Lost Gate / Gate Thief series. Looking forward to the 3rd installment.

I have been wrestling with a novel for about 10 years now. Life seems to get in the way of art. I have 5 chapters written and I am trying to take a running start at it again. I got side tracked into categorizing over 100,000 senses of meaning as a tool for language creation. My novel requires 3 fully developed languages to satisfy my vision. It has taken about 2 years so far. I may have to abandon that aspect as I fear that it may require several more years of work. I think it's time to write the story instead.

I have learned a lot already from reading the forum, and I desire feedback and and assistance (and maybe a little encouragement?), but I am also hesitant to share what I've written for fear that if it really is good (maybe), someone will like my cherished ideas and use them before I am able to finish.

My story falls somewhere between Fantasy and plausibility. I am writing supernatural fiction based on what I believe could be possible.

I look forward to participating in the forum.

Thank you for the opportunity to grow with you.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3935 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, ThemeWeaver. The water's fine, jump write in. And, don't worry too much about people stealing your ideas. If they do, and they publish and make squillions, you probably have enough proof to be able to claim authourship and sue the ground out from under them. I'm perfectly happy to share any ideas I have--far too happy some people might say.

Phil.

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane Yolen spoke to this at a convention I attended. She pointed out that people who don't write seem to think that getting the ideas is the hard part. Most writers have gazillion more ideas than they have time to write about them.

The hard part is developing ideas into worthy stories. And all the work you've put into your ideas is not something someone could steal because no one else has access to your work unless you publish it.

Even if you did publish your 100,000 senses of meaning categorizations, the ideas they would give someone else will be entirely different from the ideas you've gotten from them.

Copyright doesn't protect ideas. Copyright protects actual words and stories as written down.

Every so often, someone will start a writing challenge (see the group for that below--it's been a while, so the topics may not be visible) based on some trigger or another (consider the trigger a seed "idea"). From that idea, every single participant creates completely different stories.

So don't worry about it. You and your knowledge and your combined ideas are going to be very different from anything anyone else may create.

Posts: 8029 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThemeWeaver
Member # 10271

- posted      Profile for ThemeWeaver           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I took the plunge. My 13 lines of fame (or pain) are posted in the book fragment section. Please be gentle. :-)
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CO Thompson
Member # 10265

- posted      Profile for CO Thompson   Email CO Thompson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ThemeWeaver,
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury is CORRECT. Dreams can be had 100,000,000 for a penny,and each of us has countless good ideas and good intentions that we do not share so . . . no one knows. I have a friend who has published songs, some that are widely covered and sung at campfires and family gatherings and weddings. He told a workshop of song writers that one was a wedding gift that he postponed for too long till one day less than a week prior the event, he woke up wrote it, composed the melody and made a recording that he sent to a person who learned it and sang on time. He (Bob Franke) then sang his song "Beggars to God" to the workshop attendees. When he finished, I asked him how often a song came to him full grown like that (because I also dabble at song writing)and he said it happened fairly often, the trick is to write it down. He went on to say that he keeps a note pad and pen in arms reach all the time.

Like you, I have been influenced by OS Card and like you, I have uncompleted work that got bogged down in the details.

Since I have regressed on this site, I have reignited my efforts.

Let's prompt each other to finish what we have begun.

Charlie

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
from_left_to_write
Member # 10289

- posted      Profile for from_left_to_write           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been some time since I've started posting on forums. I would say it has been years. Here is where I suppose my dilemma is: Starting stories short or long, and never coming back around to them. So they kind of just hang there. If it weren't for OSC, I probably would have never found this site. This seems like a good place to expand. I never took any real English courses in college. I never actually went to college. I took some AP courses in high school but nothing that would be considered major. Well the only way that I know I will grow is if I stumble. So please don't be shy about areas that you feel would need improvement, because I'm sure there is a lot to know.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.