Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Excited to be here

Author Topic: Excited to be here
Jordan Vaughan
Member # 10655

- posted      Profile for Jordan Vaughan   Email Jordan Vaughan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

A little bit about me: I love to read, and in 2014 I graduated with a B.A. in English Literature. Primarily, I read fantasy. Since I was young, I've always enjoyed the fantastic more than any other genre. I dabble, sure, but fantasy is where my heart truly lies. Tolkien, Martin, Jordan, Rothfuss, Weeks, Salvatore, Staveley, and so on. I could go on, but I think those who love the genre like I do know which names I'm missing. I also love television and movies, The Lord of the Rings trilogy reigning as my all-time favorite movie series, Game of Thrones my favorite T.V. series. I also enjoy running, and I am an animal lover. So, enough of the cliche personality traits and interests.
The real reason I am here is because what I truly want is to write. My entire life, books have been my light in the darkness - not to discredit my amazing friends and family. But the power they posess and the impact they have made on me...what better way to live than to be that same inspiration for others? To share my experiences, my ideas, with the possibility of changing someone's life the same way mine was so many times over. To create a world others can escape to, or find solace in, the same way Middle Earth or even ruthless Westeros was for me? I've written a lot, but always struggle to focus. To stay on track. I always let "life win," and the pages stay blank. I am confident in not only my skills as a writer, but also a storyteller, but application has always been a weakspot. So I'm open to suggestions, critique, tough love, a slap in the face. I'd also love to pick everybody's brains. I'm excited to meet and speak to everyone!

Thank you,
Jordan Vaughan

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse!

Also, check out the Novel Support Group down below in groups. It's many things, but mainly a place for us to post our goals for the week and our progress against those goals. Accountability sometimes does help. [Wink]

Posts: 4324 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jordan! Welcome to Hatrack! =)
Posts: 206 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
H Reinhold
Member # 10553

- posted      Profile for H Reinhold   Email H Reinhold         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome! Lovely to have another new face about. [Smile]

Hannah

Posts: 46 | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcomed the riverside tree house of racks for hats off writers' creative heads -- a writing community different from run of the mill Internet of water coolers social media. Hatrack actually strives for publication success guidance, if at times blunt and brutal, though not intentionally cruel.

I've studied fantasy from an ethnographic approach. What about fantasy, as pertains to social functions, distinguishes the genre from other genres and as well other social functions? A start point is how fantasy differently approaches social commentary -- a core literature social function. The cannon and the opus are all, most anyway, satire.

Game of Thrones, for instance, what does the cycle express about the social, and moral, human condition? Much fertile fodder to ponder from the milieu's magic, imperialism, and violence motifs. For me, the imperialism features are most illustrative, that the cycle's popularity relies on two ends of social functions; one, hierarchal social stratification for both necessary and natural social order design, of an abusive degree at times, blunt force imposition of social order's appeals; two, the underdog archetype appeals.

Might the Thrones cycle amount to a meaningful satisfaction outcome about the manifold pushmi-pullyas of social stratification and independent free will exercise? I don't believe the cycle writers nor inspirer G.R.R. Martin are of that sapiently aware a degree. The whole will end tapered off from little idea how to wrap up conclusively, evident from the start and throughout the content to date -- unwrapped up like real life usually is, and entertainment media, generally, too. Something up front from the outset could have implied the eventual overall outcome, is not implied nor expressed therein as is.

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome. [Smile]
Posts: 609 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.