Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
S Archuleta
Member # 10712

- posted      Profile for S Archuleta   Email S Archuleta         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Sami. I am a high school English teacher. I live in California with my husband of 9 years and two dogs (Ringo and Rosie). I have tried repeatedly to find communities of writers, but I just don't enjoy the socializing aspect of the in-person writing groups. I don't like being a part of small talk and action. Rather, I like to remain on the periphery to observe and take notes. However, I have always wanted to feel like I am a part of an artist/writers' circle/community, so I thought that finding an online community might help this desire, while also learning how to become a better writer. I have been writing since I was physically able, and I have always wanted to be published, but putting myself out there feels so overwhelming and intimidating, so I have never tried to get my writing out there and published. Until now. I'm nervous and excited to start this journey, and very grateful to have a community of writers with which to share it.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome. [Smile] What kind of writing are you hoping to get published? Short stories, novels, etcetera?
Posts: 742 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack. I too feel at loose ends for in-person workshops, though have veteran status from BFA, MA, and civic organization studio workshop participation. I much prefer online workshops, especially if participation is regular and open-minded and, most of all, insightful. Hatrack comes closest to meeting my overall criteria; some of my more profound writing epiphanies have derived from leads inspired by Hatrack member comments. Other workshops, online or otherwise -- well, not much meaningful to say about those.

One area of particular interest for me: writers whose apprehensive natures impede their publication potentials. These are more sensitively attuned and situationally aware persons than the general masses are yet wary of public exposure. The culture is intimidating, yet we must be given our due hearing, as it is a natural right. However, the culture does not open its arms warmly; heatedly, yes. The prose marketplace basis for screening out cream from whey of the culture makes the whole a brutal-cruel exclusivity that more than a few cannot tolerate.

Here at Hatrack, the intensity of critical responses can be overwhelming, yet the true underlayment of it intends as much self-growth for responders as for contributors, and is at least impersonal, respectful, and constructive, if at times intense. Again, welcome to Hatrack. Look forward to seeing fragments posted for response.

[ July 02, 2017, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 5157 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse!
Posts: 4403 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. May your journey be fruitful and rewarding; but mind the resident curmudgeon (me). If he's in a bad mood, he would like to appologise beforehand. He can be brusque and annoyingly pointed, but he means no harm.

Phil.

Posts: 1605 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
H Reinhold
Member # 10553

- posted      Profile for H Reinhold   Email H Reinhold         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack. I think this is the only online writing community I've found where I learn something new every time I visit. I hope you find discussions here refreshing and constructive.

Hannah

Posts: 76 | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.