Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Beginning writer......new to Hatrack too!

Author Topic: Beginning writer......new to Hatrack too!
Tell.M.Hunting
Member # 10729

- posted      Profile for Tell.M.Hunting           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am first and foremost a husband and father. I work as a helicopter mechanic maintaining a fire fighting aircraft. I spent 10 years in the US Army working with and flying on helicopters. I enjoy the outdoors, reading, and games. I have enjoyed reading great fiction for my whole life but only recently have I had a real desire to create some great fiction. I hope to learn from you all as I work toward my writing goals.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome. [Smile] That is a mighty interesting day-job you have, there. What kinds of fiction do you like to read?
Posts: 742 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tell.M.Hunting
Member # 10729

- posted      Profile for Tell.M.Hunting           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! My interests lie mostly with Science Fiction and Fantasy. That being said I like a good story above all else and have enjoyed fiction from all genres.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack River's writing community. Peculiar features of writing communities contravene otherwise deprecated "proper" social conduct: writing criticism that disapproves of what doesn't work for a given writer commentator and assumes doesn't work for a target audience, grammar correction, ready fault finding of others' expression, and external responsibility assignments, without which writing workshops cannot function effectively. Plus, of course, of a constructive and respectful, courteous mien, again, without which workshops cannot function effectively.

However brutal the workshop experience might seem, the sincere intent is not brutality, rather, a mutual want for publication success -- all for one and one for all. Curious that writing commentators' works in progress more often than not benefit more from writing critiques than writers' works submitted for comment and sat on the proverbial hot seat. This is due to ready ease to find fault in others' writing behaviors than of the self's, an otherwise proscribed social behavior, and hence, mitigate those shortfalls of what doesn't work in commentators' works and grow as writers.

A "Beginning Writer"? We begin writing at an early age, as young as two years old, when first we inscribe a home's plaster wallboard with, what, crayon scratches? And is a manual dexterity practice for writing skill development, may not be sensible writing, though. By the time we are able to construct sensible sentences, we are middle experienced and skilled writers. Publication success lays beyond advanced skills and experience, accomplishes subtle and sublime expression features of appeal to a target audience of a size that warrants publication.

Creative writers' main ambition is publication. Publication aspirants, yes; beginners, nope. Here at Hatrack, we are all in that category, publication aspirants, as well as are all creative writers irrespective of publication success, After all, every writer is only as proficient as the next work offered for publication consideration and faces once again rejection potentials.

By the way, the homepage url on your profile page contains two protocols, an http and an https. Hatrack automatically appends the http prefix to an entered url address, that makes the entered https prefix redundant.

Weigh in, have fun regardless of the heartache and blood, sweat, and tears of the creative writing Poet's Journey. Backdrop joys and rewards lay between the miseries and are of the greatest ambition satisfactions. Look forward to fragments posted for comment responses.

[ September 27, 2017, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 5158 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse!
Posts: 4405 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DorothyMitchell
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello! I work as a teacher of literature
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.