Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Aspiring Writer

Author Topic: Aspiring Writer
jseverson
Member # 10074

- posted      Profile for jseverson   Email jseverson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings everyone. My name is Jeff, I've been working as an artist in the video games industry for over ten years. Being a creative person I've always wanted to write stories, even though my spelling and grammar is terrible.

My hobbies include reading, drawing, sculpting, sports, video games, and spending time with my wife and two kids. My favorite book genres are Science Fiction and Fantasy. I think my writing would be within those two genres. Iain M. Banks is my favorite author.

Here's a link to my online art portfolio: jeffseverson3d.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4382 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome. [Smile]

The easiest way to improve spelling is practice, extensive reading, and not relying solely on spell check (spell check can be misleading from time to time, and doesn't understand the made up words that so frequently populate sci-fi and fantasy).

If you want to improve grammar, my personal recommendation is for this handbook or something like it. One of my English classes used a version of it back when I was in college, and I found it easier to navigate than the more traditional Strunk & White (although I ended up keeping both).

I enjoy drawing, too. What sorts of things do you like to draw?

Posts: 730 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jseverson:
. . . even though my spelling and grammar is terrible.

Aspiring writer -- writing aspirations begin at an early age, before starting school. Publication aspirations, yes; advanced writing aspirations, maybe; still aspiring to write, nope, not if a sensible sentence can be constructed. We all of Hatrack's membership fit together as publication aspirants.

Overt, nondiscretionary grammar errors are easy publication declines (rejection). Many publication aspirants assume an editor will "fix" those after submission and before publication. However, ultimately, a writer is solely responsible for her or his submitted-for-publication content. A proficient editor can only suggest corrections and adjustments, even a publisher's editor staff can only pinpoint errors and suggest adjustments -- though such a submitted typescript, first, must suit the house and be notably worthy for the resource expenditure, apart from glitchy grammar.

Less overt, maybe subtle grammar errors are an editor's dominion; also, a competent editor's mainstays include macro, medial, and micro structural and aesthetic assessment and suggestion. Otherwise, overt grammar errors are a proofreader's dominion. For example, this is between those two overt-to-covert extremes: "Being a creative person[,] I've always wanted to write stories, even though my spelling and grammar [are] terrible."

Dependent prefatory participle clauses take comma separation. "Being a creative person[,]".

Multiple subjects of a clause (nouns) take a plural verb. "even though my spelling and grammar [are] terrible." Subject-verb number agreement glitch.

Basic grammar reference resources ready to hand and uses thereof for a writer are essentials for publication success: comprehensive dictionary, comprehensive grammar handbook, comprehensive style manual, English usage dictionary of the writer's and the subject matter, occasion, and audience's dialect, perhaps as well a rhetorical figure reference, like Silva Rhetoricae, and an ability to research and develop distinctive expression that suits a work, its subject matter, and audience, and contravenes principles of the otherwise anything but standard "Standard Written English."

Prepare to reap what Hatrack has on offer. Welcome to Hatrack.

Posts: 5108 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.