Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » DREW BOBZIEN INTRO

Author Topic: DREW BOBZIEN INTRO
BOBZIEN
Member # 10932

- posted      Profile for BOBZIEN   Email BOBZIEN         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a 53-year-old husband, father and semi-retired attorney. I have a lovely (inside and out) wife and four great children.
Right after law school (during my 1st legal job), I began to write a manuscript about a young Native American tribal member who comes back after college to work for his tribe.
I have simply enjoyed writing and the law provided the arena for me to keep working on my writing.
In 2014, I had a stroke and lost most of the function on my left side and am in a wheelchair.
Semi-retirement has allowed me to shift direction and go further into the writing.
I respectfully introduce myself to each and every one of you. My gut tells me all of you make this work. For that I thank you.

Drew Bobzien

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A rich tapestry for narratives given above: legal thriller, Native Nation lawyer drama, Postmodern post-Western tribalism, recovery from a stroke, medical life complications overall. First incited at younger ages, other Hatrack writers returned to renewed writing passions later in life. Early adulthood and late adulthood phases excite writers more than middle adulthood, when everyday life demands preoccupy everyday life.

Two creative composition areas most hamper writers, regardless of age, matters of narrative point of view and dramatic structure mechanics and aesthetics. Non-prose writers encounter great challenges of translation to prose story craft methods, the greatest is narration reflected from within a narrative's internal milieu rather than narration related from an external narrator.

Dramatic structure organization reverses or varies emphasis direction from non-prose's preferred most emphases first, that is, most emphasis last, or an emphasis arc, actually. Graphed, prose's emphasis arc resembles the St. Louis arch.

Such a structure, though, oftentimes results in melodrama, in which plot pivot points' (or twists and turns) sole function is dramatic excitement elevation, and becomes And Story more than drama: And something happens at the start. And something happens in the middle. And something happens at the end. And all to little, if any, unified and meaningful ends. Television and motion picture culture are rife with And Story melodrama, and, of late, multi-serial novels, -ologies.

Welcome to Hatrack River's writer community. May you realize the whirlwind!

Posts: 5439 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4474 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the Hatrack River Treehouse!

If you are curious about why it is a treehouse, see “Special Hatrack Topics” all the way down at the bottom. Just be prepared to settle in and spend some time enjoying and laughing your tail off. [Wink]

Native American legends are a largely untapped source. Having a legal drama that somehow follows the tale of one of these would an interesting way of melding genres. Best of luck!

Posts: 451 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.