Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » The Me. Short and Painless

Author Topic: The Me. Short and Painless
boldfine
Member # 10961

- posted      Profile for boldfine           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My name is Stephen and I joined the crew to get some much needed feedback. I started writing as a hobby/passion/psychic release when I was 24; I am now almost 40. I have had some stories published in journals such as Chiron Review, Commonline Journal and Wilderness House Literary Review.
I mostly focus on short stories but have written a handful of screenplays. My style doesn't really fit any genres (the works that have been published are a good representation).

Other than that I am a teacher that teaches special Ed (transition). In terms of my personal taste (reading), some of my favorite books have been written by Saul Bellow, William Maxwell, V. Nabokov, Flannery O'Connor, Bohumil Hrabal and Edmund Wilson.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boldfine
Member # 10961

- posted      Profile for boldfine           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are web addresses for two of my stories that are published:

https://www.whlreview.com/no-11.2/fiction/StephenBarone.pdf

http://www.commonlinejournal.com/2015/09/the-everlasting-meal-and-disappearance.html

Thanks

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4480 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boldfine
Member # 10961

Thank you.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Resembles an aesthetic facet of Hysterical Realism, less so Hysterical Realism's mechanics of linguistic acrobatics and fireworks. Chiron Review, Commonline Journal, and Wilderness House Literary Review, more than a few other literary journals, generally, too, favor -- reach, really, for Hysterical Realism and miss the language mechanics of the canon. Also, like a broad swathe of Postmodernism, of which Hysterical Realism is an offshoot, the satire of Hysterical Realism's works and writers loses sight of full realization of a work's social commentary message.

For fantastic fiction arenas, the missed message phenomena is known as stayed in a writer's head, or missed the page-itis, and artlessly withheld essentials.

A kernel appeal of fully realized Hysterical Realism is the contrasted congruent opposites of manic language and objectivist journalistic motion portraits of vice- and folly-fraught social situations. Although hit and miss, David Foster Wallace, Thomas Pychon, and Neal Stephenson, among several, maybe Don Delillo, Kurt Vonnegut, Joan Didion, too, approach Hysterical Realism's full realization. Much more occasion for fuller realization as yet remains unrealized, unfulfilled.

Welcome to the Hatrack River writers community. May you realize the whirlwind!

Posts: 5458 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boldfine
Member # 10961

Can't stand Pynchon or Delillo. Didion's nonfiction is much better than her novels. Thanks.
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the Hatrack River Treehouse!

If you are curious about why it is a treehouse, see “Special Hatrack Topics” all the way down at the bottom. Just be prepared to settle in and spend some time enjoying and laughing your tail off. [Wink]

My hat's off to all teachers, having had a brief foray into that world, and most especially to those in special ed. Good on ya!

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boldfine
Member # 10961

Thanks!!
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not much on reading long introductions, so pardon me if I only read the subject line and "Hi, my name is Stephen..."

But by this I am to glean that you are male, under 5'6" tall and somehow devoid of pain receptors.

Don't worry, I won't judge a book by it's cover. Did that once. Wonderful painting, terrible book.

Welcome to the Treehouse.

Actually... I had better post my own introduction. Pardon me, I'll be right back!

Posts: 600 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.