Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Class » First and Last

Author Topic: First and Last
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Write a paragraph using the following pairs of words. The first word must be the first word in your paragraph and the last word must be the last word you use in you paragraph. Your paragraph can be a story excerpt, intro (harder), news story or anything, just make sense...

Elephant -- Vasectomy
Rocket -- Cheese
Newton -- Flared
Bubble -- reacted
Tiny -- type
Swollen -- moon

Just if you're bored--I am not sure how it will improve your writing...

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 07, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
"Rocket! Yes a rocket will do nicely," said the retired professor. He absent-mindedly missplaced his calculator and notepad. "Lets see..." he mumbled "twenty-two hundred kilograms of fuel." With that he found a plan for his latest Guiness Book of World Records attempt. Making three tons of fondue from the worlds largest wheel of cheese.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tiny", she said after a giggle. She got up and grab for her clothes. "On second thought, maybe you're not my type."
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Very good--I like both of those!

I think if you write one you also have to suggest another set of two words and update the list (remove the set you used)--kinda keeps it going on its own. So if you don't mind editing your posts guys--or at least posting an updated list?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Swollen pods burst, releasing glowing spores into the clear dark sky. Fumos was thought to be barren, but the long cool nights when the surface cooled and the vast tide swept over the tidal plains, bioelectrical life emerged from the scorched soil. These, something like flowers, bloomed in the light of the moon.

Elephant -- Vasectomy
Astromonkey--ribbon
Newton -- Flared
Bubble -- reacted
Tiny -- type
Song--oblivion

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

"Elephant grass is how they used to do it," Jenny said.
I looked up from the book, having missed what she previously said.
"Do what exactly?"
"Birth control--they used elephant grass." She sipped her drink and looked out of the tent at the Savannah beyond.
"Elephant grass?" I put my gin and tonic on the table. "Exactly how did the indigenous people use elephant grass as a form of birth control?" She was having me on.
"The girls would hide from the boys in it--worked a treat."
I laughed out loud.
She grinned, but then looked coy. "If a man lowered himself over a fire ant colony the bites would render him temporarily infertile. Would you do that for me?"
"No." I winced; I had been bitten twice by one of the little buggers two days before and my hand still throbbed. "But I can assure if I did, you would definitely be safe from me." I picked up my drink. "So it was either the elephant grass or fire ants," I winked at her. "I'm so glad I had the vasectomy."

Astromonkey--ribbon
Newton -- Flared
Bubble -- reacted
Tiny -- type (snapper to change)
Song--oblivion
Nailed -- Cloud

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 08, 2008).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

"Newton?" The little boy sitting on the park bench offered the bulbous, four-armed creature next to him a fig newton. a flap of skin opened to reveal a wide heavily toothed mouth. It began a shrill high-pitched humming and its nostrils flared.

Astromonkey--ribbon
Felony--Bounce
Bubble -- reacted
Tiny -- type (snapper to change)
Song--oblivion
Nailed -- Cloud

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited April 07, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Skadder, that one was way over 13 lines. Could you people please try to keep them short?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Felony? Come on Woodbury, don’t you think you’re going a little overboard?”
I swear I saw steam coming out of her ears at that point. She grabbed her mouse and shook it in front of my nose.
“You think it’s easy doing this thankless job. They keep flaunting the rules like that…”
She mimicked a kick that any football player would envy.
“…and you’ll really see how high one can bounce.”

Astromonkey--ribbon
Bubble -- reacted
Song--oblivion
Nailed -- Cloud
Tag--you
Are--it

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 07, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 07, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

m

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited April 07, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for pairs of words, how about the tops of the pages in the dictionary (or if that seems too alliterative, you could open the dictionary to two different pages and use the close-eyes-and-put-a-finger-on-the-page method)?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Sorry Kathleen,

I thought it didn't matter here because I have no interest in getting this stuff published.

Adam

skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
If you're looking for pairs of words, how about the tops of the pages in the dictionary (or if that seems too alliterative, you could open the dictionary to two different pages and use the close-eyes-and-put-a-finger-on-the-page method)?

I tried that but ended up with very obscure words!

This is good and I often use it for story ideas.

http://creativityforyou.com/combomaker.html

Adam

skadder
Member # 6757

Tag? What Tag?”
“The one sticking out from your collar, sir—the security tag.” The store detective looked weary, like he had done this sort of thing a thousand times and had heard all the excuses.
“Er, no—it’s a new style in clothes jewellery,” the boy stuttered, his eyes flicked about as though seeking an escape route.
“Yes, sir; jewellery--very creative of you, sir.” The detective lifted his eyebrow and sighed. “I am arresting you…”

Astromonkey--ribbon
Bubble -- reacted
Song--oblivion
Nailed -- Cloud
Likable -- distracted
Are--it

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 08, 2008).]

snapper
Member # 7299

Song after blaring song, I jumped, punched, bit, and stomped my fellow concert goers. Ralph shouted in my ear.
"Aren't these mosh and mangle pits the best!"
"Yeah!" I shouted back. "Isn't the TNT box on the stage a great prop?"
"That's not a prop." Ralph shouted back as he delivered a jab to the guy next to him. I saw the guitarist lift his instrument up as he got ready to strike at the box. "Why do you think the bands final show is called 'Getting blown to oblivion'?"

Astromonkey--ribbon
Bubble -- reacted
Nailed -- Cloud
Likable -- distracted
Are--it
Connection--again

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 08, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 13, 2008).]

skadder
Member # 6757

"Are you It?" I said, panting. "Or am I It?"

Astromonkey--ribbon
Bubble -- reacted
Nailed -- Cloud
Likable -- distracted
Corona -- heart
Connection--again

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 09, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Much better, skadder!

I realize that these are just exercises, and people don't usually intend to publish them, but you just never know. And I'd rather we were safe than sorry. (Yeah, I know, but it's a cliche because it's so very applicable so many times.)

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
I tried that but ended up with very obscure words!

Well, then, pick a word you like on the page. Who's going to know? (We're not asking people to reference their sources, after all.)

snapper
Member # 7299

Likable and creative, aren’t we Kathy. I don’t remember seeing Much-times in our list, you’re not play this correct. Maybe you should repost .
Sorry, didn't mean for you to get distracted.

Astromonkey--ribbon
Bubble -- reacted
Nailed -- Cloud
Corona -- heart
Connection—again
Spelling-grammar

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 11, 2008).]

skadder
Member # 6757

"Spelling, Spelling," a voice shouted,"Over here."
Tori Spelling turned at the sound of her name; but her shoulders dropped when she saw who it was. She put on her best smile as she walked across the lawn towards Guy Richie. Somewhere nearby a champagne bottle popped its cork amid a chorus of giggles.
"Yes, Guy, can I help?"
"Where's your Dad? I wanted to pitch him a movie idea I just thought of."
"Sudden inspiration, eh? I think he's with his mother." Tori looked around for a moment and pointed. "There he is, talking to Grammar."

Astromonkey--ribbon
Bubble -- reacted
Nailed -- Cloud
Corona -- heart
Connection—again
Nostrils -- Velocity

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 11, 2008).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Connection Terminated "%#%@! Stupid ^$^%$# robots! Why the ^&$$# can't I get a *%^& tech to fix this *#@%&*@& robot?"

He dialed the number again.
*Ringing*
Thank you for calling the Rob the Robot repair and technical help hotline. Press one if your Rob is experiencing a malfunction

*Beep*

Connection Terminated
"&*%# not again!"

Astromonkey--ribbon
Bubble -- reacted
Nailed -- Cloud
Corona -- heart
Autopsy--Menial
Nostrils -- Velocity

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited April 12, 2008).]

IcedFalcon
Member # 7956

- posted      Profile for IcedFalcon           Edit/Delete Post 
Tiney was what they had called him, it was ego stroking. He was nothing of the sort; like calling a fat man slim. Never the less he still wasnt her type.

[This message has been edited by IcedFalcon (edited May 05, 2008).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlakeR
Member # 7963

- posted      Profile for BlakeR   Email BlakeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Nostrils walked through the dim-lit alleyways of New York with a limp. His leg had been broken by a stray bullet from one of the cop's bullets.

"How did they find out about the deal? Mickey told me he took care of that rat! Was there another one?" he said to no one in particular. All he could do now was try to make it back to the safe house in the Bronx.

A street loomed before him, the last obstacle he had to overcome before he reached safety. He looked left and right, making sure there was no traffic that could pose any danger as he crossed. A pair of headlights glimmered in the distance, but he decided they were far enough away that he could cross safely.

He started his journey across the highway, and saw that the headlights were changing lanes, aiming for him. His entire focus shifted to picking up velocity.

Astromonkey--ribbon
Bubble -- reacted
Nailed -- Cloud
Corona -- heart
Autopsy--Menial

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

These exercises should be kept within the 13 line limit as well.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.